When budgets go bad ! My first retro ( ish ) build. Update

keitht

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I had been looking for a cheapish road bike, to enable me to get out of an afternoon/evening and enjoy a nice ride.

Although I have several MTBs..its a bit of a bind getting to a half decent trail, and I didn't really want to compremise my enjoyment by sticking some skiiny road type tyres on one of them.

So, as per usual with me, I jumped off the deepend.

The budget was well and truly blown when a rather nice Raleigh popped up on the Sales Forum, along with some other nice period parts from the same seller.

A kneejerk PM, quickly saw a deal concluded...

So here I am...over double my budget, and with a few bits still to source.
Primarily a nice Eubios bar, and some pedals with clips.

My heart says she will be worth it, my Wife says it better be.....!!!!

Raleigh IMI Ti 54cm frame, with a load of mainly NOS or barely used period parts.

RaleighIMI2011_0823_110124.jpg

RaleighIMI2011_0727_095634.jpg

RaleighIMI2011_0727_095623.jpg

RaleighIMI2011_0823_110150.jpg

looks brilliant, I love having a pile of bits to turn into a bike.
And i have never had such a nice pile of bits! Enjoy it.

Have fun but ditch the bottle cages :) Make sure you have beer at hand during every stage of the build, it's even more important than greasing things....

Don't worry about ditching the bottle cages ditch that saddle bag. It would be a crying shame to put that on something that will be as good looking as that bike will be.

dbmtb":fhvp5o7o said:
Very nice. I have a pair of dura-ace SPD-R pedals would be perfect for this. Interested?

Maybe....not sure she will be staying..I have a very poorly Spaniel..vets bills of £1000 and rising...
I am insured, but takes approx 3mths to get my money back..and I have to fund it until then.

So at present juggling some stuff to ascertain whether I can afford to keep her or not.

If I get it sorted and she can stay, then reckon I would need a nice pair of pedals.

K

I hope your Spaniel's health improves rapidly and the insurance company pays out pronto. Then you can buy the SPDs and add them to the already impressive pile of bits you have there. It's certainly going to be a lovely bike. I shall watch with interest

Can't make up my mind about that stem though......:?

Well to save the frame from sale, i have sold the DA and other stuff to pay the vets bill, plus Direct line have come through with some of the insurance money. Jerry is much better, and I have enough money to keep the frame and wheels and start sourcing a cheaper used groupset.

Mocked this up early....planning on keeping the metal and black theme going.

RaleighIMI2011_0915_114344.jpg

I have some black Eubious bars, will try and get a matching XA, and I need a front Mavic skewer. I am hoping that funds will stretch to a decent 6500 groupset, but I think a 1056 would suit as well.

Is 6400 too early ?

Also need to get some tubes with long valves....!

Back