My new roadie, Dawes Galaxy (originally)...

zimbob

Old School Hero
Picked up a Dawes Galaxy on Bumtree a couple of months back for silly money, ideal base :

Bikes220511001-1.jpg

I think it's an '81 bike, though if anyone here knows different please let me know :)

Anyhoo, a bit of paint, and some replacement bitties, and it looks like this :

Bikesetc010811003.jpg

Bikesetc010811002.jpg

Mavic 700c rims, Mavic titanium bars, Shimano 105 rear mech, Suntour period front mech, Weinmann period levers, all courtesy of the g/fs ridiculously over-stocked girl-cave :) New Selle saddle from the 'Bay, likewise the tyres, which are due to go, they look gash :(

Loving riding it, it's twice the bike my Carrera TDF is, and for a fraction of the price!

i prefered it before, but then again i'm not riding it and if it means one more bike actually out there being used the good for you.

Looks like you did some nice clean work there though.

1duck":3f3oa3yl said:
i prefered it before, but then again i'm not riding it and if it means one more bike actually out there being used the good for you.

Looks like you did some nice clean work there though.

Looking at the 'before' photo I've posted, it actually looks in better nick than it was, the paintwork had had it, as had the decals, so a re-paint was required. Stripping it back to the bare metal was fun :roll: As for my choice of colour, it's been divisive to say the least :)

Thanks for the compliments guys :)

Ross, nothing so classy I'm afraid, it's Halfrauds finest rattle-can, in Rover 'Applejack Green'... I'd originally planned it in a similar metallic green to some of the Kona Lavadomes, but spotted this colour and rather liked it :)

That's certainly bright! You don't see a lot of green bikes.

Back section of the rear brake outer could do with shortening a bit, as could the front brake outer, just to tidy it up a bit.

Me likey. Keeping the chrome n the forks is a particularly neat touch. Do you mind me asking how you stripped the paint back?

Goldie":3feo4fqa said:
Me likey. Keeping the chrome n the forks is a particularly neat touch. Do you mind me asking how you stripped the paint back?

Cheers Goldie :) Stripping the paint involved a drill, and one of those cup-wheel wire brush attachments.. messy, time-consuming but remarkably effective! That and a lot of wire-wool to finish.

skelley2":15cjli43 said:
I like the bike, just not the handlebars.

some rando bars would look cracking on that.

+1 the old version was a wee bit jobbie. Now a classy scoot :cool:

Back