'59 Carlton Continental

BigFoz

Retro Guru
I am about to rebuild a '59 Carlton Continental, which is currently in the Copper Acrylichrome finish, but a little beaten up (surprisingly good for 50 years old though!). Does anyone know of a source who could refinish this?

It's basically a chrome plated frame with a thin acrylic lacquer coat in a colour, and the finish is stunning.

Hi and welcome, are you sure about your dates and models, chrome was always an option I believe in the 50's and 60's ranges, but if I remember correctly the Acrylichrome finish was a 60's and 70's thing with the Cobra being the last chrome Acrylichrome model Carlton made (early - mid 70's) . Just to complicate things Carlton used the Continental name in the early to mid Fifties and the early seventies, therefore a piccie will help, so keep posting. Terry

Well, if it is '60s / '70s I'll have to sue the bloke I paid £27 on eBay! ;-) Seriously, it was sold as such, I haven't got around to checking the frame number against the register for details.

Even if it's not, I still face wanting to get the paint done up, and at £27, I'm not overly stressed if it's not a '59!

Hi, Good price whatever, what is the serial number as that could nail the year for you. Terry

The Acrylichrome was an option on the Constellation also, fantastic looking finish, although not the most durable.

Lugs will help date the machine, Carlton did use Lindrick lugs in the early 50s on the Continental, although as said the name has been used over the years many times...

Look forward to some images!

Spurious reply as I need to post again before I can load pics from a URL! - will go take some pics imminently

So, I went out to the shed and took a pic and checked the frame number and compared to Carlton Enthusiast's dating data.

It's a '60, not a '59. Which is actually better as I wanted a '61 (my birth year...)

Anyhoo, here she is in all her pre-rebuild glory.
album_thumbnail.php

And just for fun, here is a poor quality pic of my daily rider - owned since new (1995, so also qualifies as a Retro!), converted from racer to commuter courtesy of Blackburn rack mounts and some infinitesimal clearances...

album_pic.php

Hmm, not sure what happened there - used the img tags, but it seems to have ignored the url posted... Any thoughts?

I moved the photos to "album 2" and everything appears to work.

Continental
main.php

The Tecnos image is scarily big and shaky from this source, so I'll go source another one!

Latest posts

Back