My Koga Miyata Flyer

FelixP

Retro Newbie
I signed up on this forum last year when I was looking to get my bike, well I fell in love with the look of a Koga Miyata advertised on LFGSS. It was very exciting waiting for a bike to arrive from another country!

It's a 1986 Koga Miyata Flyer with FM2 tubing and a HM2 fork. It has a Shimano Signature groupset I believe, which is Shimano 600 with a shiny crankset. It's pretty light weight and lovely to ride compared to the old Raleigh that introduced me to cycling.

I rode it around for a few days as it was, but was always planning on a Brooks saddle! At the time I wanted to keep it for a long time, so having the Brooks made sense. A friend had purchased the Brooks bar tape by mistake, so gave it to me, perfect!

As I was going into the last year of University, I made time to cycle everyday, and now I still get out on my bike at least 3 times a week, I couldn't imagine life without it! I've been for lots of adventures around Wales, with the Taff Trail being a favourite place to cruise along. For the winter I added some MKS mudguards, which required some p-clips to fit but matched the bike nicely. I even had some panniers at one point, but my housemate last year usually carried any extras when we went on rides together.

I've got a problem at the moment however, as the freehub is worn out, making a constant clicking noise and not always turning freely when I try to freewheel. I'm not sure what to do, as a new cassette won't fit, I can't find a freehub for a 10 speed and if I replaced the wheel with a modern one I'm worried that the rest of my drivetrain won't work with the extra gears.

I look forward to all the rides to come and never want to let go of my little old bike!

One of my first rides on the bike:

e1Pbg.jpg

First time out on the Brooks and some toeclips!

eMcJ0.jpg

My driving gloves match it well too, even if they're a bit Alan Partridge!

Kfa2F.jpg

This is where the Taff Trail gets interesting!

DGkDr.jpg

Outdone by my housemate on their Single Speed up a mountain!

RwCeJ.jpg

Bristol to Bath with a friend, now with the mudguards fitted.

ps3B2.jpg

And in Bath, it's not always so clean sadly!

V0ijg.jpg

Lovely bike, and awesome Caerphilly Castle backdrop. As jCymbal just said, it probably just needs a thorough service.

Back