My aluminium bike I made in 1984 ----Plus restoration

ph billet

Dirt Disciple
Hi , new to the forum ,I have been road cycle racing since I was 18 and that back in 1977 . In 1984 I machined an aluminium frame from billet stock and 2024 t3 aluminium tube(styled on the Alan frame) I still ride the same frame after more than 27 years, I love it allthough its a bit heavy by todays standard , I up graded it a few times over the years the last time in 1991 with dura ace sti shifter/brakes thay were new on the market and I had to have them.

Attachments

• frame4.jpg
    frame4.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 3,955
  • frame5.jpg
    frame5.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 3,954
  • frame 2.jpg
    frame 2.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 3,953
  • frame 3.jpg
    frame 3.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 3,952
billet frame

taken a few years ago, I used the frame when I was showing my car at a car show.

Attachments

• frane small.jpg
    frane small.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 3,915
better shot c 1990

first picture with the sti up grade in 1991. 20 years ago this new sti brake shift system was so cool, now its on your entry level bike, back then it was like magic as it must be for someone driving a modern sports car with a paddle shift.In 1991 the sti was only on Dura ace and it set me back a lot of dollars but I loved it and was the envy of my fellow club riders.

Attachments

• crop big 2.jpg
    crop big 2.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 3,911
c1984

First group I installed to test the frame when it was finished. After 18 months of work I wasnt sure if the frame would stand up to a rider so I put on old parts I had around to test it on the road. The bike passed brillantly and has been going strong for 27 years of hard racing and many miles of training. Its got a few bumps and scars and I have lost a lot of skin and a busted clevical, but we still enjoy time together.

Attachments

• crop 1984 small.jpg
    crop 1984 small.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 3,900
awesome! colours look great too, the red and polished is a great combination. Out of curiousity, how much does this frame wheigh?

Back