Oh No, he has got the bug... Build No. 2 - Jack Taylor 1970

willhouse

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Well, after getting my first retro frame as per my older build thread, which was a Pat Rohan built Reynolds 531SL frame I decided that my 50-60 miles per week would be better spent on something a bit more comfortable with less aggresive geometry.

Again, my good friend Kevin came up with the goods and I am now custodian of this Jack Taylor.

Previous owner I think had it from new, and it has previously seen many miles over Europe and the UK, soon to see a good few more...

It has been re-painted at some point in its life, but we think the chrome is original?

Jack Taylor by outHOUSEpics, on Flickr

Jack Taylor Side by outHOUSEpics, on Flickr

Jack Taylor Seat Clamp by outHOUSEpics, on Flickr

Jack Taylor Dropout by outHOUSEpics, on Flickr

It is going to be built to ride, so its going together with relatively modern gear, Shimano RX100 groupset, Modolo Handlebars, Stronglight Chainset (48/36) and Mavic CXP10's on RX100 hubs.
May not be to everyones taste, but it isnt going to be a show queen and is being built to enjoy its smooth ride.

I feel an expensive day in the bike shop tomorrow getting some finishing pieces, its going all black, mudguards, tape, seat, stem, cables, tyres as the green is very much a vibrant colour an needs something to dull it down a little.

Yes, its half the reason I like the old frames so much.

Anyone can buy a new frame and to me they are just too generic unless it is Titanium or a newly hand made steel, or something exactly like your custom build, which is very similar to Alan's which are very nice too.

I think over the next year I may invest in something newer, but for the time being, I will keep on this.

Now complete, and its first 10 miles under its belt, few tweaks to be made, including the pointy up seat :roll:
Think I may need an 80mm stem as opposed to the 100mm too....

Jack Taylor Complete by outHOUSEpics, on Flickr

That's about the nicest bike I've seen on here, and just great that it's going to be properly ridden not just sat in heated garage.

I'm going down a slightly similar route with an old 531 with a mix of old/new and being ridden every day as my only road bike.

I'm interested in the wheels - I'm assuming that the rear dropouts are 120mm OLN the same as mine? Mine has had a 126mm hub jammed into it since 1986 with no issues, and I'm happy with a seven speed freewheel.

Did you get some NOS 126mm hubs and build modern rims onto them?

The overall colour scheme is spot on - your decision to "go black" has really worked and the bike is a credit to your good taste, sir!!

Wow, thanks for the kind words guys!

The frame has been previously restored and had the back end set to 130, however I know somewhere with some NOS 126mm Shimano RSX hubs if you were interested for your build.

I also am a fan of any gearing system, and would have been happy with a seven speed, but the 8 speed RX100 groupset came at a price I couldn't turn down, especially as the rims havent even worn through the anodizing yet.

Put another 15miles on it today and I definitely need a different stem, should have left the tape off longer to check it out. :x

Willhouse, thanks for your offer on the Shimano hubs but having read up on them I'm not convinced of the long-term availability of their cassette spares (nor the short term availability of my own funds!!) so I'm erring toward sticking with screw-on freewheel systems since I have no plans to widen the rear OLN spacing.

Thanks anyway, and enjoy your mean green machine!

Before I scrolled down to the last pic I thought "this is going to look all wrong with modern kit". Then I saw what you'd done - absolutely perfect. It just looks so right - proof that very old frames are not much different to new ones.
Really good choice of components. I went to the Bob Jackson shop recently and they still sell bikes new with quill stems but they look fantastic. Yours looks as good if not better, not even the modern tyres look out of place.

Great job!! [/doffs cap]

Back