My Raleigh 531 Banana-style

Raceface

Dirt Disciple
Just registered & thought I'd post up a picture of my old Raleigh 531.

I've owned it since 1985 & it was 3 to 4 years old then I reckon & originally blue. I refurbished from 1988 to 1990 (I think), powder coating it in yellow, replacing the forks, most components & wheels.

The spec was then:
531 main frame & forks.
Mavic Open 4CD rims on Shimano 105 hubs, stainless spokes.
105 crank with Biopace rings & 105 BB
105 brakes
105 headset
105 front mech
Dura Ace 7 speed shifters
Dura Ace rear mech
Dura Ace seat post

In the last year or so I have put on a new saddle, FSA SS bars & Ritchie riser stem on an A-head extension, bar tape & Michelin tyres. Oh, and the Banana replica sticker kit. The frame was always a little too big & now I'm getting on the original reach was too extreme, hence the bar swap. I took off a nice 80's Modolo quill stem & bar set.

It hasnt had a great amount of use over latter years (I have other bikes, including a slightly retro 90's Marin Mount Vision) & bar a few scrapes it is in pretty good nic.

I'm hankering after a more modern carbon/ STi equiped road bike, but doubt I'll ever get rid of this one.

Comments welcome.

Mark.

Attachments

• Raleigh_Banana_Compressed.jpg
    Raleigh_Banana_Compressed.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 1,641
  • Banana_front_compressed.jpg
    Banana_front_compressed.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 1,640
  • Banana_rear_compressed.jpg
    Banana_rear_compressed.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 1,641
hey, my GT is in a bad state and i would like to get a new bike prefrably a road bike simuler to yours.
what sort of price would u be asking for if i was to purchase a bike like yours. cheers mate.

Attachments

• Photo0071.jpg
    Photo0071.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 1,496
No idea on cost. Worth checking on here or Ebay. Specs can be massively different & that will be reflected in the price.

I wouldn't let mine go for much less than £400 I guess.

Mark.

The tri bars could get you nicked for carrying an offensive weapon though!
Agreed! They've been taken off now as they didn't really suit it, or me.

I might revert to the period Modolo quill stem & bars too.

Thanks for your comments.

Back