Can anyone identify this frame?

I picked this bike up from a charity shop a couple of months back and the more I ride it and think about it the more unusual the frame seems. The bike's very light considering it is presumably pretty old, having a lamp mount on the fork, no bottle cage mounts or cable routing across the top tube. The only markings on the frame at all are the serial 104489 on the BB and on the mech side drop out there's a faint Suntour stamp. The components are a real mix; Shimano Tourney, Stronglight cranks, Uniglide... I assume it's been repainted at some point but it's been done professionally.

Please take a look here and let me know if you have any suggestions/info, thanks.

Attachments

• bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 938
Hi, sorry about the image quality/size. It's not obvious from the photo but the rear drop outs have those track spacer things on them too.

It looks a lot like a fillet brazed Viscount Aerospace frame, although the guide for the front mech cable on top of the bb shell, the bridge for the rear brake cable and the drop outs are all different to my Aerospace Pro:

DSC03128.jpg

DSC03125.jpg

DSC03122.jpg

Have a look through the Viscount thread on the CTC forum - there must be pictures of just about everything Viscount ever made on there somewhere. Hang on to it if it is an Aerospace - top of the line bikes come out at about 10.5kg...

Hi, thanks for that. I agree that the geometry looks alot like a Viscount, but I am having real trouble finding anything that matches the detailing this frame has. What with it being a fillet brazed frame and the distinctive nature of the few brazed-on parts I kind of expected to be able to narrow it down a bit more easily.

Back