1970s Racing Cycle

Waltzer7

Dirt Disciple
Hi,

I have an old chrome coloured racing bike with CTC Silver Streak & Capital on the frame, which I use from time to time for road use. It has 12 gears. I have done the London to Brighton in 1994 & Norwich 100 miles in 1995 on Silver Streak before I bought the Trek Mountain bike.

Underneath, the number is 821588. Hoping someone can help identify this number?

I maybe wrong but vaguely remember being told it was new in 1976? Can anyone throw some light on which company made this cycle?

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 745
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 745
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 745
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 745
Dont know anything about these, but it deserve to be brought back to parade standard. Looks to be a characterful mount.

Thanks for the compliments, Spokesmann.

Surely someone on this forum would remember the name from the 70s? I did wonder if there was any link between the 1976 film, "Silverstreak" & the racing cycles with that name during the 70s?

The history as I know was that it was brand new to my late fiance during the mid-70s then it was handed to his sister who gave it to me during 1993.

The only things I've added to this racing cycle, in 1993, was the red foam for the handlebars as the original wrap around leather was worn out & the front wheel in 1995, replacing the old wheel that was made in Holland due to the ball bearing that broke 3 miles prior to the finish of the London to Brighton event in 1994.

The rest hasn't been replaced by myself but, apart from the chrome frame, whether they're originals or not, I have no idea.

I've often wondered if its worth restoring & if so, how best to restore it? Should I keep the original names on the frame, etc?

Back