peugeot optimum 531 handbrazed

1duck

Senior Retro Guru
My peugeot optimum 531 handbrazed roadbike...it weighs just over 10kg, has cinelli criterium handlebars and a cinelli head stem with compagnolo hubs laced to mavic reflex sup rims, complete rx 100 shimano groupset...

Which is all very nice but wtf happened with the pedals! :LOL:

Anyway its small for me so at some point soon it will probably appear in the for sale section...but in the mean time it will decorate my kitchen!

5891682856_a8b3f7f47f_z.jpg

well i moved the saddle up just about a couple of cm's to where i think its meant to be, because it is shaped differently at the point where it is now...and now the bike seems to be my size? am i missing something here?

The day i understand bike frame sizes i can die happy, i mean i've measured it and i think from memory it was a 54cm frame...i'm 6'2 with a 32 inch leg measurement, but yet it feels right?

i mean my raleigh which i used for commuting is a 60cm frame so how does this work? :?

1duck

dont ask me but i have found that i can get away with a 21" frame on a Peugoet normally or i need 22" plus on other frames so no idea , but enjoy it

Well its going to have to go at some point anyway, because we are moving house soon...i'd rather see it sold than risk damaging it in the downsizing.

(of course other people in this house would say that 4 other bikes and three motorbikes are too many, madness i tell you!)

And then they were four!

I have just acquired a Peugeot Optimum as well. One of the metallic Lilac Reynolds 531 frame versions. It has the standard RX100 gearset although mine has RSX100 Sti levers on it. I don't know if they were an after market addition or if it had them from new but it also has a different stem and handlebars, not the cinelli version but a generic Peugeot branded grey painted set with matching seat stem (which I have swapped for a Condor carbon one). Like you guys, I have struggled to find much info about it but I have found a 1992 Dutch catalogue which shows the Optimum model to be the 3rd of a set of top range models, although in their case the optimum is made with Reynolds 525 and the very top model is made with 531 and had Sti shifters so maybe the UK versions were not quite the same. My frame appears to be a 1992 model based on the code stamp on the bottom bracket.

It is a really nice ride. I have never liked allu frames, I find they transfer alot of road buzz and vibration compared to steel.

I had a Peugeot bike as a teenager and of course although it started off as a wonderful, pristine racer, as teenagedom progressed, it went through several resprays in a variety of two and three tone combinations and ended up matt black with the biggest set of cowhorns you have ever seen. I don't actually know what happened to it in the end although I suspect I out grew it, in every sense of the phrase.

I will keep looking out for info and if anyone else comes across any more details I'd be interested to know.

Back