1980 Koga-Miyata FullPro-L

Elev12k

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
I spotted an ad-link, saying only 'for sale' and with a tiny pic with a blue/gold bike next to it. Under the link I saw it had vertical dropouts and a particular style stays. This made the alarm bells ring even louder. I responded quicky, sealed the deal and collected the same day, now 2 days ago. This is where it was all about >>>

5882098590_0490dd75bf_b.jpg

A 1980 Koga-Miyata FullPro-L. In very nice shape, but not new or NOS, so I will not feel guilty when riding it. Excellent rider quality. Currently the bike is disassembled. The frame is very light. The FullPro-L was one step up from the FullPro (what is pretty much the Team Miyata in the US) and used lighter Tange #1 tubing. The geometry is a bit shorter and steeper than with the FullPro. There is a braze on for the front mech, drop outs are vertical and the stay caps are typical for the FullPro-L. What it shares with the FullPro are the slim microfusion lugs with multiple cutouts and an open bracket shell.

The SR Super Extra Light stem and post with ti hardware are a nice touch. They belong to the standard equipment. Dito for a full Dura-Ace EX group, of which a couple parts had been replaced. For example the DynaDrive pedals made place for conventional pedals with the -highly sought after- Shimano adapters.

The build quality of this frame is simply excellent. Smooth transitions, no gaps and a both tough and beautifull coat. The gloss is as deep as on the day it left the spraycabin. Fork and tail are chromed under the paint. Given this the low weight they achieved is even more spectacular. The bike shows why Miyata pretty much wiped the floor with some established manufacturers in the 80s. To convince the people they had to deliver a great product and they did.

I'm sure this will be another gem from your collection. I can't see the pictures at work so I look forward to logging on at home to drool over the bike.

Hey that's cool a picture just popped up. Nice looking frame - will you rebuild it with all the same components?

Mark.

daccordimark":2eg8vf77 said:
Nice looking frame - will you rebuild it with all the same components?

Mark.

Mark,

For a substantial part: yes. The cockpit has been serviced already. The bar tape is approved: it is tidy Ciclolinea tape . The tape around the hoods is removed now. I restored the original hoods. I put thin tape around the lever bodies and glued the hoods back. I will apply silicone vaseline and I hope it will last for a while this way.

I think the DynaDrive cranks will be replaced by Dura Ace cranks for regular pedals. Of course the seat will not make its return on the rebuilt FullPro-L.

I want one of those.....

What fork crowns does it have?
And what detail on the bottom bracket....

Mel how many bikes are in your collection ??

How do the dutch view the retro/new bike schism ??

That's an impressive collection of FullPro's you have Mel - any chance of a group photo :D

I'm really interested in the restoration of the gum hoods, do you have any more details about what you do, photos before and after etc. - that would make a really cool thread in it's own right.

toomski":2k4zzk9i said:
I want one of those.....

What fork crowns does it have?
And what detail on the bottom bracket....

The flat crown with Miyata logo cut outs. The shell shows double 'M' cut outs.

The regular FullPro of the early 80s shows resemblance, but you can easily tell them apart by horizontal drop outs, flat stay caps with 'Pro' engraved and a couple more things.

The ProRacer also often comes in the blue/gold paintscheme, but it has an (semi) aero crown, a shell with 6 holes among some other things that will unveil it is a ProRacer.

Finally, the last variation in blue/gold: the 1981 FullPro-L. Many aerodynamic influences in the frame design, for example aero crown, fastback stays, shifter fitting on top downtube. A Dura-Ace AX bike.

Than there was also the FullPro-S, but it could be this is an one-off.

Mel how many bikes are in your collection ??

Hmm... 5? :roll: :?

How do the dutch view the retro/new bike schism ??

I am not aware of such schism to be honest. Normally Dutch tend to be quite pragmatic with their bikes.

ededwards":3apnaojq said:
That's an impressive collection of FullPro's you have Mel - any chance of a group photo :D

I'm really interested in the restoration of the gum hoods, do you have any more details about what you do, photos before and after etc. - that would make a really cool thread in it's own right.

I will work on a photocovering of bits, cleaned, prepared, the build and so on :)

I put the fork on the scale. It is not the most advanced scale in the world and repositioning the fork on the scale lead to slightly different outcomes, but if 100% accuracy isn't an absolute requirement I can come up with this result: ~760gr it is. Including race.

5892341844_d56a7bdd50_b.jpg

It is chromed, painted, with reinforcement stiffners, for a 58cm frame.

Back