Stan Pike 531sl TT

omegastrada

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Ok, here's showing off my latest build, a 1980 Stan Pike TT built with 531sl.

Quite simply, I bought this frame because I fell in love with it the moment I saw it.

To my eyes, this is the most exquisitely finished steel frame I have seen this side of something made by Cinelli/Colnago etc. It has almost track-like geometry with very tight clearances, as was the vogue for TT frames at that time. Consequently, it always accelerates like you've got the wind behind you and it is very responsive..

There isn't a lot of info online about our man Stan Pike, other that he is regarded as one of the finest builders of steel frames Britain has ever produced and that many top riders of the day used his frames. I've read that Stan silver brazed his best frames and this one is stamped "silver brazed" on the bottom bracket shell.

So, I was captured by it's beauty and was therefore obliged to kit it out with some equally nice period components. You may notice that the decals are not original, the reason being that I felt it would look good with some contemporary graphics to enhance the aesthetic quality of the rest of the bike. The type face is original but the execution is not and I'd be interested to know what you think. And yes, that is a Chorus seatpost you can see and that will be replaced with a Record post at some point in the future.

This is my favourite bike and here it is...

Attachments

• stan pike drive edit 2.JPG
    stan pike drive edit 2.JPG
    162.1 KB · Views: 5,474
  • stan pike front edit.JPG
    stan pike front edit.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 5,470
  • stan pike side 2edit.JPG
    stan pike side 2edit.JPG
    191.5 KB · Views: 5,473
  • stan pike side edit.JPG
    stan pike side edit.JPG
    230.6 KB · Views: 5,474
Very nice, he was a frame builder of some renown. His bikes were ridden by many of the top names in British racing, especially time trials.

Pete Wells was a Pike Man & I think I saw John Woodburn on a Pike

Local west country fast man Bob Maslen also had a Pike.

This frame looks like a TT frame to me

Nob":2neosabw said:
Pete Wells was a Pike Man & I think I saw John Woodburn on a Pike

Local west country fast man Bob Maslen also had a Pike.

This frame looks like a TT frame to me

Remember PW on one and John definitely did. Didn't he do his End-to-End on it?

I believe Stan taught Arthur Needham of Argos fame how to build frames or he was under Stan's wing for some time :?: Correct me if I'm wrong

Hi,
i've just bought what i believe to be a Stan Pike frame - are there any other identifiers that SP used?
Mine has a vented Cinelli BB ( not the spoiler version), short point lugs - the down tube/head tube lug has a P engraved on it - no markings on dropouts or serial numbers that i can see...i'll post some pics if you don't mind me hijacking the thread!?

Hi oldmuthariley, please feel free to hijack the thread, I'd love to see your frame. However, it might be worth starting a new one as a reference point for others trying to identify theirs in the future - it's up to you.

First and foremost, Stan's frames are usually immaculately finished with neatly filed lugs, tidy shorelines, stays/drop-outs etc. I've seen 2 common types types of seat stay finishes - the long, semi-wrap around style which mine has (and appears the most common) and the fastback or shot-in style.

Has yours been resprayed at some time, covering the serial on the BB perhaps? The serial on mine is on the BB and doesn't bear his initials but does also have a stamp stating "silver brazed", which was apparently his preferred method. Mine reads K80003R.

Incidentally, Stan's son Philip carried on building frames under the name Pike of Crewkerne following his Father's death. Could that be the "P" stamped on your head tube lug?

Let's see some pics of the details I mention above and go from there.

Hi omegastrada (great rims!),
here's a few not very good pictures ...

Bottom bracket shell
28082011266.jpg

side view
28082011267.jpg

seat cluster
28082011268.jpg

with tubs
28082011274.jpg

28082011273.jpg

forks are not original - if i keep the frame i may ask Steve Goff (who is quite local) to make some appropriate tight gemetry forks like yours.
In fact the geometry on your frame/forks is very similar to my Dave Russell (that's another story) :roll:
cheers J

Very nice looking frame & always look good in white. I'd suggest this may have been built by Stans Son as the seats stays are not Stan Pike mold going into the seat tube I feel.

Get some straighter forks for a more agressive TT look stick on a 57 Campag Record Ring & it would look great :)

What of the Dave Russell then :?:

Back