1980 BSA 3 speed

Dead Rats

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Picked this up off Gumtree for £35, all I had to do was re-crimp the cables and clean off the guck... everything works perfectly-ish, and it has a smart bell. Looks to be 100% original... and looks older than '80, but that's what's stamped on the rear SA hub. Loving this as my day to day retro hack for shorter, more leisurely commutes regardless:

216293_10150228274201171_586536170_9024663_6633247_n.jpg

a great find......the British 3 speed roadster is under rated. There is a reason so many were sold back in the day. Its because they do the job - easy to ride, easy to maintain and long lasting. My GF rides a step through BSA, very similar to the one above - the hub is dated 1969. Since we've had it I have replaced the steel front wheel with an alloy one for improved breaking, but thats about it. I think we should maybe have a 'show us your British 3 speed' thread.

Gets my vote, not the most fashionable, but solid and well-engineered. Go for it!

My best mate had one of those, i was always trying to get him to let me have a go because it felt like a grown ups bike. wicked.

My best mate had one of those, i was always trying to get him to let me have a go because it felt like a grown ups bike. wicked.

Great find for £35 - what a bargain!

skelley2":17dmzngn said:
thinking about doing something like this with a modern 3 speed shimano job as a commuter.
Just for inspiration, a mate at work has a full carbon frame made by Nelson with sit up and beg bars and fat comfy saddle. Light alloy wheels with 36 spokes, fat tyres and mudguards. You think you're riding an old heavy bone shaker but the bike is ultra light and twitchy underneath you and super responsive with amazing gearchanges and powerful brakes. You have to be careful because you assume you're just ambling along but you're often flying down the road at some speed! Do it!

my idea is a 1950's locally built road 1950's frame

some ma2's and shimano 3 speed.

be a lovely commuter.

Back