TI Raleigh 531 Competition

cromoman

Retro Guru
New project on the go:

Frame: Raleigh 531, W number on the bottom bracket, can't remember what it is but it indicates 1982.

Fork: to match

Headset: Tange
Stem: Cinelli
Handlebar: Cinelli
Bar Tape: el-cheapo

Brake Levers: Gipiemme Special
Brake Calipers: Gipiemme Special

Shifters: Campagnolo Victory
Front Derailleur: Campagnolo Victory/Triomphe?
Rear Derailleur: Campagnolo Victory/Triomphe?
Cassette: 7-speed cheapo freewheel 13-24
Chain: 5678 speed SRAM
Cranks: Campagnolo Centaur (TEMPORARY! I'm on the look out for some Victory)
Bottom Bracket: from the shed (TEMP)
Pedals: shed, will replace with some nice ones

Rims: Mavic Open Sport
Hubs: Gipiemme
Nipples: ACI
Spokes: ACI db
Tyres: Vittoria from the pile in the shed, nicer ones on the way

Saddle: Brooks
Seatpost: Generic fluted

Weight: tbc

IMAG0054.jpg

I wanted to build a bike for the Eroica, and got the frame from eBay. It's got a lot of chips and scratches, so I didn't want to spend too much money finishing it up. I got the hubs for £23 NOS and they're a bit rough, so I decided to put some cheap Open Sports on for now rather than hunt for proper period correct rims. I wasn't prepared to pay Super Record money so settled for a mix of Victory, Triomphe and Gipiemme parts.

Todo list:
Put a proper crank on it! The 10 speed Centaur is well out of place.
Put some skinwall tyres on.

x1 for the skinwalls, I've got a frameset in the same colours which I'm toying with rebuilding. Was my race bike back in the 80's and had a few pieces of super record. Have some red tyres in stock so glad to have seen yours shod with red tyres to appreciate how wrong it looks (to me that is ;) )

I never tire of seeing that colour scheme - fabulous.

How does it ride?
Are you still intending to use this for the Eroica?

Enjoy applying your finishing touches,
David

agreed, I loved it way back as a kid, and felt the dogs bits when I managed to save my paperround dosh to get a 531 in the colours, and it's never dulled in my opinion. There are other great colour schemes, but this has got to be up there with the best of them.

It's just about finished now. I managed to pick up a 1st gen Chorus crankset at the Ripley cycle jumble yesterday, which isn't quite right, but it will do for the time being.

I've put some Challenge Criterium tyres on it too, they look much better imo.

IMAG0065.jpg

Took it for a quick spin yesterday and a proper ride today. Very pleased, I shall definitely be taking it to the Eroica.

Classic paint scheme and to my eyes looks all the better with the Rolls and skinwalls.

Looking good, better than the first photo. Where did you get the skinwall Criteriums? Are they new ones?

I got the Challenge Criteriums new from eBay - In Motion products was the seller - £30 per tyre plus £5 p&p next day delivery.

First impressions are good, I really like the ride.

Back