Mercian 753

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Tempting as it was to type "I've got a big un" I exercised self restraint.

The sale was, strangely, on Pistonheads and linked here. Saw the ad on very early morning Thursday, collected yesterday evening.

Gave it a quick wipe over and all seems good - would have gone for a quick spin but it's hammering down outside so might as well take a few photos.

It's a Mercian in 753 but I'm unsure which model. I've looked at the website without shedding too much light - I did think it was a Professional but it lacks the spearpoint lugs at the b/b (Cinelli, incidentally), possibly a Vincitore? If there are any Mercian experts out there who can identify it that would be much appreciated.

Build is a eclectic mixture (my favourite), with Super Record rear mech and brakes (the gum hoods are pretty perished and will have to be replaced), Nuovo Record chainset, Simplex downtube shifters and Superbe front mech. Stem and bars are Cinelli, naturally.

I'm quite liking the white Turbo but may swop out for a Brooks later.

Attachments

• Seat stays.JPG
    Seat stays.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 2,699
  • Rear mech.JPG
    Rear mech.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 2,698
  • Fork blades.JPG
    Fork blades.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 2,699
  • Mercian.JPG
    Mercian.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 2,699
Nice

Really nice, if alarmingly big :shock: the top tube would probably come up to my shoulders. :LOL:
Nice colour as well.

Jamie

Superbe front mechs seem to be on a good number of non-groupset bikes including my Alan. Were they especially good?

Spokesmann":2kr1lbd6 said:
Bit of a gate, but top quality none-the-less.

Thanks.

Sadly height has it's disadvantages in terms of bike aesthetics and I've yet to see a 63cm frame that doesn't look like it should have hinges. That said, this one does look reasonably proportioned even with it's 16 cm stem.

Iwasgoodonce":2kr1lbd6 said:
Superbe front mechs seem to be on a good number of non-groupset bikes including my Alan. Were they especially good?

I wondered that too so asked in my LBS this afternoon to be told that they were the best front mechs that you could get at the time. Couple that with the Simplex shifters that were so often preferred over the options that came with the rest of the groupset and you have a pleasantly functional if non series build.

orange71":3dm76thw said:
do you love it more than your Waugh ;)

Fair play for trying but comparing a traditionally lugged 753 frame with a lugged and fillet brazed Columbus Max frame really is chalk and cheese. Guess I'll just have to keep both ;)

Elev12k":3dm76thw said:
Nice Mercian ...and looks in in good shape too :D

Thanks - more Melvin condition than Ed condition to be honest ;) Although I suspect that I'll address that 'problem' soon enough.

Back