Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:44 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 12:00 am 
Concours Judge
Concours Judge

I have both cup and cone and cartridge BB's in use. They both function satisfactory. For the later you need only one tool, but if you want to get the old BB out the donor you already need the tools for the other type. You need 3 tools. The two you are mentioning plus a tool for the drive side cup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 12:05 am 
Concours Judge
Concours Judge

J8B wrote:
Thanks for the polishing info. I have seen Brasso in hardware shops here. So the cranks are silver anodised on the outside? Any issues with polishing this off?

Yes, they are anodised. Polishing will not result in issues. From time to time you have to polish them up again, but I would say that is about it. Of course be aware the polishing job will require quite some time, especially because of the ano. Wear something to protect your longs when working with the cloth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:15 pm 
PoTM Winner / retrobike rider
PoTM Winner / retrobike rider

Elev12k wrote:
J8B wrote:
Thanks for the polishing info. I have seen Brasso in hardware shops here. So the cranks are silver anodised on the outside? Any issues with polishing this off?

Yes, they are anodised. Polishing will not result in issues. From time to time you have to polish them up again, but I would say that is about it. Of course be aware the polishing job will require quite some time, especially because of the ano. Wear something to protect your longs when working with the cloth.

but if you do, it is very rewarding!

great frame by the way, will follow this with interest :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:48 am 
Dirt Disciple

I think some of the anodising has come off already where a shoe or leather strap has been rubbing the crank arm. Just got to find some of that metal polishing cloth and I'll give it a go :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:51 am 
Dirt Disciple

Some close ups of the wheels from the donor bike. Got to give them a good clean next.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:40 pm 
Concours Judge
Concours Judge

J8B wrote:
I think some of the anodising has come off already where a shoe or leather strap has been rubbing the crank arm. Just got to find some of that metal polishing cloth and I'll give it a go :)

Great :)

I do like this issue of the 600 group btw. Clean no frills design. From this perpective different from the romantic Nuovo Record or this 600 groupset's predecessor the 600 Arabesque. Never got really warm feelings with the later.

As I already mentioned in this thread I do own a A-frame in Amstel colours. Inspired by your frame I let my mind go on building mine. I do have a lovely black Dura-Ace groupset that would be a good match with it I think. My A-frame is a little earlier than your frame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 2:10 am 
Dirt Disciple

Elev12k wrote:
I do like this issue of the 600 group btw. Clean no frills design. From this perpective different from the romantic Nuovo Record or this 600 groupset's predecessor the 600 Arabesque. Never got really warm feelings with the later.

I agree. disraeligears.co.uk described it as clean, elegant ‘engineered’ look, which I think is spot on. With the 'donor' bike parts I have a complete 6207 group including pedals, hubs and freewheel, but will stick with the pantographed campy shifters though :)

Elev12k wrote:
As I already mentioned in this thread I do own a A-frame in Amstel colours. Inspired by your frame I let my mind go on building mine. I do have a lovely black Dura-Ace groupset that would be a good match with it I think. My A-frame is a little earlier than your frame.

Sounds great. Be interested in seeing some pictures if you build it up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 2:42 pm 
Concours Judge
Concours Judge

I took a couple pics and I unveil a bit more on my intentions in a seperate thread. I thought it is better to not hijack your thread :)

View it here >> another Amster Bier Gazelle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 6:35 pm 
Retro Guru

Two cracking machines in the making....

Steel is real.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:39 am 
Dirt Disciple

Progress has been a bit slow lately while waiting for some parts from Wiggle. They have arrived now so I think I have all the bits I need to start putting it all together.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next