E. G. Bates

Nob

rBotM Winner
PoTM Winner
This is my own personal steed from 1983 & a handbuilt custom frame built by Alan Bates & I did all my PB's on this bike mostly up in Scotland when I moved up there in 84.
The frame underwent a total respray at Agros in 2005 & Argos forks were added. It has gone throug some changes as first it was going to have tribars stuck on but then having seen the picture of just the base bar it looked horrid so reverted back to the normal bars. First used the MP bars from the project bike but then this did not look right either so got some Cinelli 66's & cut them back drilled & the last pics although not to clear bring it back to as I had it in 84. Have added a Super Record Rear Mech & will replace the 175 PMP with 177.5's which I hav finally located. Also replaced the seatpost back to a Campag Aero Job.
Mr. Ian Cammish gave me his record breaking PMP's but the left hand crank is cracked so can not be used.

Photo's in sequence hopefully through to its current set up but the bar tape will be replaced by some Benotto but not fully covering the bars.

052606007.jpg

052606010.jpg

With Huret Jubilee rear mech
Picture004.jpg

Superb Modolo Kronos Caliper
Picture012.jpg

This is the next version where by PMP were back in place along with the Campag 50th rear mech
bates9.jpg

bates1.jpg

bates5.jpg

bates6.jpg

This is in its current state as of December 2010
Still needs a KMC Chain.
Bates.jpg

Bates1.jpg

Bar tape just looks to bulky
Bates2.jpg

This grainy photo was from 1988 I think up on a local 10 course outside of Aberdeen & the only photo of me racing on this lovely machine
88Nob.jpg

Liking that, very interesting.

I've seen those cranks before but never really understood them: Why are they doglegged? I would have thought they would have been very prone to failure. I'd be interested in any information or experiences folks have had with them.

Good pic of you racing. I've done that course a few times as well back in my Deeside Thistle days. I now live a few miles from the Garlogie junction in your pic. The evening legue is still going strong.

Ally":mrbm6qd4 said:
Liking that, very interesting.

I've seen those cranks before but never really understood them: Why are they doglegged? I would have thought they would have been very prone to failure. I'd be interested in any information or experiences folks have had with them.

Good pic of you racing. I've done that course a few times as well back in my Deeside Thistle days. I now live a few miles from the Garlogie junction in your pic. The evening legue is still going strong.

Glad to hear it as my companion was Alistair Davidson who had a very nice Low Pro Dave Lloyd - not too sure what happened to him though.
I see Mark Higgins & Norman Skene still ride albiet they formed Granite RT I believe.

It'll look great with some Benotto tape on it ;)

I was hoping to get my lo-pro back today but there's been a problem with paint so it'll be next week now.

If it comes out anywhere as good as yours I'll be very happy.

Really great stuff. Looks like a few of those pics were not taken in Scotland though.

As I understand it the 'L shaped' cranks were designed in order to help you better overcome top dead center. Of course in reality they made no difference.

mmmmental. Tell us, thoso modolo brakes had a rep for not being the best stoppers.... speed modulaters.... how do they perform... look the business mind

toomski":2xwyxjmn said:
mmmmental. Tell us, thoso modolo brakes had a rep for not being the best stoppers.... speed modulaters.... how do they perform... look the business mind

Well for a time trial you don't need brakes as it were but I found them fine in the dry but in the wet they were pretty useless.
They were way ahead of anything in terms of design & weight & even today I feel they are still so much better than the current offerings. :cool:

Back