1972 Dave Russell

Old Ned

Old School Grand Master
Having now 'completed' the bike (if this can ever truly be done!) I thought I would start a new thread so that a full spec. etc. can be added from scratch so to speak.

For those of you who might have missed the first thread this is a bike that I originally had built for me in 1972 but sold due to impoverishness in 1973. I re-acquired it late last year. The second owner had it re-sprayed with a few frame alterations (gear and bottle bosses etc.) in '79 but not ridden it since. The paintwork was therefore in a pretty good condition. Some of the components were also mine from that time (and before!) and I can remember drilling out the chainring and brakes in a mate's grandfather's workshop in 1970.

With the perforated chainrings and brakes it is a 'part drillium' machine and I've 'attacked' the front changer as well. Some time I might tackle the gear levers too!

The Universal brake levers are fitted with NOS hoods from e-bay (not cheap) but they sort of finish it all off I reckon.

Frame: Built by Bill Grey from 531, probably 74/74 angles, 23" c-2-t and 21.5 tt

Fork: 531

Headset: Campagnolo Super Record alloy
Stem: Cinelli 1A oval Milan logo 13.5cm.
Handlebar: Cinelli 66-40 shield logo
Bar Tape: White cloth

Brake Levers: Universal
Brake Calipers: Universal 51
Brake Pads: NOS red studded
Brake Cables: Clarks

Shifters: Campagnolo Record DT
Front Derailleur: Campagnolo Record early body
Rear Derailleur: Campagnolo Nuovo Record
Derailleur Cables: Yes
Block: will be hopefully Regina 13-17 5-speed when I can find one in good condition
Chain: Regina
Cranks: Campagnolo Pista 177.5 original 151 BCD
Chainrings: Williams 53 with Campagnolo 46 cut-away and drilled
Bottom Bracket: Shimano (sorry!!)
Pedals: Campagnolo Pista, Cinelli alloy toe-clips, NOS Crono straps

Rims: early Mavic
Hubs: Campagnolo Record small flange 28
Hub Skewers: early Campagnolo 'Open C' straight QR levers and 'cone' nuts
Nipples: brass
Spokes: 15/17 double butted tied and soldered, polished 'rustless' type
Tyres: NOS Lion SL21 tubulars

Saddle: original Black nylon Unica-Nitor
Seatpost: Campagnolo 2-bolt
Seatpost Binder: allen-key

Weight: around 22lbs I reckon!

Attachments

• 72DaveRussellMar11.5.A.jpg
    72DaveRussellMar11.5.A.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 3,688
Some detail shots that were requested in the previous thread.

Attachments

• 72DaveRussellMar11.10.A.jpg
    72DaveRussellMar11.10.A.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 3,683
  • 72DaveRussellMar11.11.A.jpg
    72DaveRussellMar11.11.A.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 3,683
  • 72DaveRussellMar11.7.A.jpg
    72DaveRussellMar11.7.A.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 3,683
Very nice looking bike, I particularly like the drilled components, must have taken some time and effort to work out and get the spacing right. You must be delighted to have gotten this back.

I said it before this bike is superb. Love the detail. Your other bike is equally tip top. When somethings right it just speaks for itself. This is one of those machines you can come back to time and again. In the steel that has to be great... I'm a fan. You got major bike amigo

In my eye beautifull proportioned bike with a lot attention to detail. One of the nicest bikes I've seen lately.

Lovely job! I always worry about drilled stuff breaking but it does look cool. Having seen the frame in the flesh I can say the 'photos don't do it justice (no criticism of your photography intended). Its a great looking bike and I hope you'll be treating it to a blast up and down the old A1!

Mark.

Very nice build but the drilling part is a little on the poor side. Holes to small & way to big countersunk on the chain ring & brakes.

Nob":2v3z0wzh said:
Very nice build but the drilling part is a little on the poor side. Holes to small & way to big countersunk on the chain ring & brakes.

I didn't want to compromise the structural integrity of the alloy components with the over-ambitious creation of weakening cavities.

Mind you, the drilling was done in 1970 with a hand held Black and Decker in my mate's Grandad's cellar workshop using the only 2 drills we could find, a blunt 1/4" and a small centre drill (at least, I know now that that is what it was, no idea then!).

You should have seen them before I cleaned them up! Rather than re-drill on the lathe etc. I thought I would leave them in their period 'naive' state.

Don't you think the build might look better with some white Benotto tape...................................... ;)

If this were mine I'd have drilled them alot more & no countersink to reflect the era of drilling :)

I have Martin Pynes mini bike renovated & just a couple of changes to be done which I need to get round too to this machine & I drilled out the chairing with 1/4" holes & looks pretty good.

I also have a EG Bates Low Profile with the 24" front wheel. I will use Benotto white tape.

http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2616

Back