Eddy Merckx Titanium AX

garethrl

Senior Retro Guru
Hi folks,
This one came right out of the blue for me the other week - you can read the full story here if you're interested and after a fair few hours with the degreasers and elbow grease, I took her out for a few laps of the local park this past weekend for a quick thrash and to take a few snaps too!

*Edit Apr 2018 - new pics added on page 2*

A full spec sheet will appear below sooner enough but for now let's get straight to business with some photos! Enjoy!

5548648562_feef1f2eac_b.jpg

5548074287_12649d58b1_z.jpg

5548657172_c1b993deb1_b.jpg

5548653654_cfa3a80f22_m.jpg
5548652996_dd74b22c0a_m.jpg
5548651700_f869edbb10_m.jpg

Cheers,
Gareth.

You lucky lucky Bar Steward :LOL:

Very nice frame and such an amazing bargain.

One question though.... what's going on with that headset and stem arrangement ?? :?

Frame: Eddy Merckx Titanium AX built by Litespeed from 3Al/2.5V Ti; 56x56cm

Fork: Time Carbon straight leg, 1" threaded steerer

Headset: Stronglight threaded (needs replacing)
Stem: 3TTT Forge Ahead with 1" quill converter (needs replacing)
Handlebar: 3TTT Ergo 2, Merckx drop, 26.0mm clamp
Bar Tape: Black cork ribbon, make unknown

Brake Levers/Brifters: Campagnolo Chorus 8-speed Ergopower
Brake Calipers: Campagnolo Chorus dual pivot
Brake Pads: Campagnolo, prob original
Brake Cables: Campagnolo, prob original

Shifters: Campagnolo Chorus 8-speed Ergopower
Front Derailleur: Campagnolo Chorus, 34.9mm band
Rear Derailleur: Campagnolo Daytona
Derailleur Cables: Campagnolo, prob original
Cassette: Campagnolo 8-speed, model unknown
Chain: SRAM PC48
Cranks: Campagnolo Chorus 5-arm 135mm PCD
Chainrings: Vuelta 53T, Campagnolo 39T
Bottom Bracket: Campagnolo, presume Chorus
Pedals: Crank Bros Candy (for test rides only!)

Rims: tbc
Hubs: F: presume original Chorus; R: lower-end 8-speed Campag
Hub Skewers: Campagnolo, F: Chorus, R: generic
Nipples: alloy
Spokes: d/b steel, make TBC
Tyres: TBC, Vittoria?
Tubes: TBC

Saddle: Selle Italia Flite derivative of some description
Seatpost: Campagnolo Chorus
Seatpost Binder: Campagnolo, rusty (needs replacing)

Bottle Cage: cheap and red!
Extras: non-functioning Cateye computer; speeding ticket (see original thread!)

Thanks! I'm rather happy with it, to say the least ...

Yep, the stem/headset arrangement is pretty rotten. I've not seen any reference to the Time fork or Stronglight headset being specced so it's possible they were both replaced at the same time, maybe in France? I hope it wasn't as a result of a smash, but there's no evidence of damage to the frame - plus I'd say the front wheel is probably original, and hasn't been trashed as far as I can see.

In any case, I have a nice retro-looking Nitto stem that will drop straight in for now, and the frame is screaming for NOS Campag or King headsetry. As well as being fugly the headset is loose and the flats are a bit mangled so it's had its day. I'm thinking of replacing the fork at some point for either a NOS carbon or cromo one with curved legs - primarily for aesthetics but also as this one must be about 15 years old by now.

Ah ... decisions, decisions ...

Prometheus":2lyc70gl said:
You lucky lucky Bar Steward :LOL:

Very nice frame and such an amazing bargain.

One question though.... what's going on with that headset and stem arrangement ?? :?

Here's a nice close up that you can't really make out above - gotta love stamped Ti dropouts!

5548651700_f869edbb10_b.jpg

Also, can anyone ID this hub for certain? I guess it's the original Chorus from around '94-'95

5548072997_189117ac78_b.jpg

Cheers,
Gareth.

Cheers Ed! There's nothing wrong with the Time fork and I can see the appeal, but I prefer the look of a curved fork, that's all. The headset has to go though - the question is, Campag or King?

Incidentally, the Look pedals you sent my way will gone on this - I was given some as-new red Arc plates along with some other spares so will fit them asap.

Actually that raises a question - were there ever Merckx-branded Look pedals? I've seen a few pics of the Podio pedal he designed, but for some reason I still have the idea that Merckx-branded Looks also existed. Naturally if they did then I'd want to try to locate a pair.

Cheers,
Gareth.

Not sure on the Merckx branded Looks but I'll certainly give a headset opinion - with the groupset you've got, surely it has to be Campag?

Nice one!

I was following the developing story with interest. Really glad your expectations were met, it looks great.

I think the forks look good on it, just the headset and stem to sort and tie it all together so-to-speak.

How is the down-tube cable guides attached? Is that a plate thing as part of the headset? Never seen that before.

What else are you planning for it?

Typical case of money well spent :)

Very nice. Needs a tune up with new cockpit/HS and you are ready to roll on your eddy.

Latest posts

Back