Battaglin Columbus SLX circa 1987

RooKilo

rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Here is my latest project, purchased from ebay for way too much thanks to an inaccurate description see http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=136292. I'm keeping it but it needs renovating, before I start here's some information and photo's.

Frame: 57cm Battaglin Columbus SLX circa 1987, pantographing to lugs, drop outs, rear brake bridge and seat stays. Cinelli spoiler BB shell, pantographed.

Fork: Columbus SLX, pantographed crown.

Headset: Campagnolo, possibly Chorus
Stem: Cinelli 1a 11cm
Handlebar: Cinelli 66-42 Campione Del Mondo

Brake Levers: Campagnolo aero / top entry
Brake Calipers: Chorus

Shifters: Campagnolo friction
Front Derailleur: Campagnolo braze on
Rear Derailleur: Campagnolo Corsa Record, 2nd gen?
Freewheel: Sachs 7 speed 13-21
Cranks: 170mm Campagnolo CDA / Chorus
Chainrings: Campagnolo
Bottom Bracket: Campagnolo
Pedals: Campagnolo

Rims: Mavic GL330
Hubs: Campagnolo Chorus
Hub Skewers: Campagnolo
Tyres: Wolber tubular

Saddle: Rolls
Seatpost: Miche

Attachments

• DSC00183.JPG
    DSC00183.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 7,290
  • DSC00181.JPG
    DSC00181.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 7,288
  • DSC00178.JPG
    DSC00178.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 7,289
  • DSC00175.JPG
    DSC00175.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 7,290
I have an almost identical frame, although the paint is worse on mine. If you manage to find some decal let me know - I need a set too!

The spec on mine is going to be very close to yours - scarily close in facr, I've even got the same seatpost IIRC, and mine is all from parts I've picked up!

The cranks look like CDA, which are different from Chorus, but i'd need to see a close up pic to be sure.

I wish mine was a 57 - it's a 60, so a tiny bit to big for me.

NickD":3580yb2a said:
I have an almost identical frame, although the paint is worse on mine. If you manage to find some decal let me know - I need a set too!

I've emailed four places with no reply, I'll try again and request a price for two sets - maybe I'll get a response then! Does yours have the top tube decal that some have?

I've even got the same seatpost IIRC, and mine is all from parts I've picked up!!

I'm not going to use the seatpost, when I remove it I'll post it on here. It's very nice but I want a Campag one.

The cranks look like CDA, which are different from Chorus, but i'd need to see a close up pic to be sure.

I thought it was CDA as it's slightly different to a Chrous set on another bike, I think they'll polish up ok. I'll get some more pics and post them on here.
I've also just picked up a pantographed Cinelli Record stem for it, just over a tenner!
Are you spraying yours yourself or getting it done elsewhere? I'm thinking of trying C & G though have used Mercian with good results before - I wonder if we can get a discount for two? . Cheers! :D

Mine has the top tube decal, yes. If I can't find a set, I'm going to see if I can get some done from photos. They are not like most older deals, they appear to be vinyl, so should be able to be produced by a decent car graphics company.

I won't be painting it myself, I could never do the fade, I'll either use Mercian or one of the local painters I think. I've got a couple of projects that need painting.

it looks like a c record headset but i can't be 100% sure from your photo. it's a beauty of a bike - now go get a nice c record seatpost (around £120 new from dick turpin on ebay!) and some nice continental giro or vittoria rallye tubs with a gum sidewall...of course. you too can be stephen roche!

or roberto visentini....BOOO!! HISSSSSS!!! :x

rusty :D

I thought that the headset was C Record, it looks identical to the one offered for sale on here for 400 euro....... I'd love C Record throughout and will bide my time to collect the parts required though I do like the Chorus monoplanars and may keep them. I've got a front wheel with C Rcord hub, now I need a rear..

I'm a step closer to getting some decals for it, once I have these it'll go off for respray. Can't wait! :D

400 euros for a bloomin' headset - what utter greed and total nonsense!! we used to sell them for £39.99!!! it's a real pet hate of mine that some of these internet robbers are allowed to push these rare-ish items for such nonsense sums. i've been after a nice c record 27.2 seatpost and can't seem to get one for under £120!!! yes, those too sold for a pittance back in the day..

anyway, enough ranting! :x

the bike is amazing - check and double check your forks especially the fork crown - i remember seeing an interview with stephen roche re his giro win in 1987 and he said he pulled alongside roberto visentini and said "slow down roberto...i think my forks are broken.." to which the trecherous italian replied by attacking him over the mountain climb!! still the better man won on the day in spite of his mechanical problems...what a guy!!

wiould be great to see photos of your battaglin once all the work is done.

the following photos just because it was a great time in world cycling, roche was an utterly decent character AND he could ride the legs off of anyone that year! :twisted:

roche-worlds.jpg

roche_rolls_saddle_1987.jpg

DelgadoRoche87PhSport.jpg

Still no luck in finding decals, Nick at H Lloyd cycles was unable to produce them and I'm still waiting for Velocals and Cyclomondo to get back to me.

I've now got a nice panto'd stem and some NOS GEL330's for it but I really want to get on with getting the frame renovated!

Back