My Yeoman Sandringham

Lollypop

Retro Newbie
Hi Everybody,

I've bought a project, an Ebay cheapie as my first build a bike project.
It's not the best bike in the world, it's a Yeoman (London UK) Sandringham.
Steel, and weighs a tonne.
I'm planning to strip it, and clean it to a shine. I want to add new saddle, grips and a traditional wicker basket.
It has Sturmey Archer gears and brakes.
All very basic but I'm looking forward to my new project.

I've started to strip it and it now weighs slightly less than a tonne.

I already have a mountain bike, this will make a nice change for the summer.

DSC00001.JPG

DSC00003.JPG

DSC00004.JPG

DSC00008.JPG

DSC00016.JPG

DSC00018.JPG

Should come up well, a very solidly made bike. A very British name too - sounds solid and dependable like the engineering.

I'd be so tempted to run with the all cream accessories theme and slip some cream tyres on there - Schwalbe Delta Cruisers maybe? And of course, an absolutely massive bell that goes off like Big Ben...

My dad's got a wartime Waverley stashed in his garage with no chrome and a big white patch on the back mudguard - it does look good.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to getting started.
I can't find any info on the Yeoman brand.

I'm going to make it look like a wartime bike, matt black with brown leather and a wicker basket. :)

I like this inspiration:

http://mypinupfantasy.com/?p=245

The tweed run looks like great fun, loving the pics on their website.

http://tweedrun.com/

Do you have any pics of the Waverley?

Cream and black with Delta Cruisers:

pashley-guvnor-lg.jpg

You may be able to find a date code (month and year) on the Sturmey Archer hub shell.
It looks mid 1970's to me, likely far eastern. Taiwan?
Also looks as if the rear hub has been steam cleaned, at least the SA will want some oil before it rusts internally.
The cranks are out of line, one cotter pin may have the wrong angle flat filed.

I've taken a quick look at the hub, can see 83 6 stamped on it, June 1983 maybe? Perhaps the bike is newer than though, or maybe a new hub sometime. Eitherway I've yet to take it to pieces and start work on it.

Will update when I do.

:)

Nice project!

Im looking for a step through for my Mrs as my next project, possibly a vintage Malvern Star. My vision is something akin to this little beauty

5508559645_3a9090573f.jpg

Back