Ally's Raleigh.

Ally

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I've got this bike from a pal who i've badgered into selling it to me. I am now its second owner.

It doesn't look like it, but its a raleigh Road Ace Select 600.

At some point one of the joins failed and it went to the Special Products Division for a repair. They sorted the join, replaced the forks, changed the TT cable bosses, and did the respray. From what I believe, they did an excellent job and customer support was again top-notch.

Raleigh009.jpg

Raleigh010.jpg

Raleigh017.jpg

My pal did a terriffic job of looking after the bike. The only reason he parted with it in the end is because he know's I will look after it as well as he did.

First and only issue really was to sort the headset as the old one was past its best. It was an old 600 number and from memory these never had a particularly good lifespan anyway. Unfortunately nothing else would fit as its stack height was so low.

Raleigh003.jpg

Raleigh006.jpg

Got a replacement with a low stack height, but was still around 3mm too high. Rather than change the forks or keep running the old, hard to find and unreliable heasets, I found it a simpler solution to shorten the frames head-tube.

Raleigh001.jpg

Raleigh004.jpg

Did one end at a time using the other as a datum for keeping the faces parrallel, and then resealed with paint.

Raleigh002.jpg

I knew this was coming up but was going to take a while to get the bike through various reasons, so used the time to source the parts I needed to get it back to good ridable condition and make it nice once again.

Raleigh011.jpg

Raleigh013.jpg

Raleigh012.jpg

Raleigh014.jpg

Got it built up now and i'm really pleased with how its come out.

Raleigh030.jpg

Raleigh029.jpg

The parts are pretty much what would have been specced from new, and most are NOS, or at least in very good condition.

Raleigh028.jpg

Raleigh027.jpg

Raleigh026.jpg

This bike will probably be used just as much as my main road bike, possibly taking precedence. My current road bike is a 10year old Giant TCR. Obviously it'll be well looked after though as are all my bikes.

Raleigh025.jpg

Raleigh024.jpg

Raleigh023.jpg

This is the first retro road bike i've done. Done lots of bikes in the day, but they weren't retro then. Very happy with it and hope you like it.

Many thanks to Stuart for selling it to me and for looking after it so well. I'm sure he'll enjoy seeing it back together as a working bike.

Ally,

Sounds like a well thought out and planned project. You are braver (and far more capable) than I, to reduce the head tube height, but what a good solution.

The sight of the various parts, still boxed, has the look of Christmas morning to it and reminds me of the excitement of opening much awaited packages. Fantastic!

Thanks for the pics.

David

Excellent! Good to see you've gone with NOS parts and resisted the temptation to fit 'modern' bits to it. Should be a good ride.

Very nice job you've done there. Raleigh certainly built great frames and I always liked their forks from that era.

Enjoy the ride!

Nice write up. That tri-colour 600 groupo has got to be one of the best of all time. Should give years of service.

Cheers guys.

Had a short spin on it the other day to bed everything in and it rides wonderfuly.

Little wonder as it was so easy to put together, everything just fell into place.

Its a great ride, forgiving yet responsive, rolls well in a big gear, handling is great.

In short, i'm delighted with it. I've not been on the road bike so much lately, and this had really given me a fresh enthusiaism for the road.

Back