My Clunker - Raleigh Royal now a Commuter

Dogbreath

Dirt Disciple
Ok, twas a long time ago, early 2009 but here's a bike a cobbled together. The goal was too make a bullet-proof bike to get me to the station. I could have bought a lovely bike for half the money it cost to put this thing together but it was all about learning the skills and having fun in a garage.

Sturmey Archer XRD5 rear
- grip twist soon to be replaced by trigger type
Sturmey Archer XFD front
1970's Campag Crank

Might change the stem, bar and grips etc but otherwise a nice comfy low maintenance bike. The mudguards rattle around a bit but have just sorted that out with silicon and string lol. I dont get my suit wet and i'm quite amazed how many days you can actually cycle to the station in the morning and not get wet...UK near Cambridge :)

Obviously no design winner but twas built with low maintenance in mind. Hopefully in time it will get dirty and more mashed up so that thievish types look the other way, another goal...they should go for every other bike rather than mine :)

I love it, quite heavy but my 20 minute walk to the station now takes 6minutes along quite residential roads.

Attachments

• IMG_2932.JPG
    IMG_2932.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 1,784
  • IMG_2940.JPG
    IMG_2940.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 1,784
  • IMG_2941.JPG
    IMG_2941.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 1,784
  • IMG_2942.JPG
    IMG_2942.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 1,784
Just 'because i was passing ;)...the design winner lol...notice its not in the garage!

Attachments

• IMG_2950.JPG
    IMG_2950.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 1,782
And a few more...

Attachments

• IMG_2943.JPG
    IMG_2943.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 1,764
  • IMG_2944.JPG
    IMG_2944.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 1,764
  • IMG_2938.JPG
    IMG_2938.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 1,764
Not bad, but I would lose the risers and ergo grips, and go for something like a set of brahma bars taped up

c1c_brahma.jpg

You can still run the mtb controls but it brings the whole look back in, and to be honest, I swapped my ergos for brahmas and found the hand positions a lot better, the stumpy bar ends on ergos simply arent that good.

Cheers Yojimbo, to be honest the first bit of corrective action is to remove the bar ends completely. The XRD5 hub doesn't inspire confidence with its occasional gear slip and i dont need to stand up and burn to the station as such.

Plans/Thoughts include
Alloy stem
Handlebars...suggestions???, first thought upturned North Roads or even flat bar although Yojimbo idea isnt bad really
Alloy seatpost
New plastic/rubber/gel seat for weather proofing
New trigger http://www.sturmey-archer.com/products/ ... cid/2/id/4 to hopefully improve gear changing and remove the slip
More tasteful brake levers

Help me polish my turd lol

Back