'97 Cannondale T1000

one-eyed_jim

Old School Grand Master
I've been meaning to get myself one of Cannondale's classy touring bikes since drooling over one in Richard's Ultimate Bicycle Book in the early nineties. I was actually on the lookout for one in my little brother's size when I spotted a nice example for sale on eBay late last summer, and couldn't resist.

Unfortunately I only had time to pop in a headset (NOS XTR M900) before having to put the project aside. I'm hoping to get back to the UK in time to have it built up for some summer touring.

Here's the inspiration:

Attachments

• touring bike anatomy a.jpg
    touring bike anatomy a.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 7,520
And here's the frame I'll be working from. It's obviously later than the one pictured above, with its unicrown fork, separate seat collar, and more shapely stays, but it's the same frame in essence. Cannondale's very first frame was a tourer, and the basic recipe didn't change for fifteen years: fat aluminium tubes, 18" chainstays, and conservative geometry.

http://www.goatsurfer.com/assets/Cannondale_1983.pdf

Attachments

• t1000 caad2.jpg
    t1000 caad2.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 7,511
I won't be obsessive about period correctness or exactly replicating the original. The aim is to produce a high quality, versatile mile-eater, choosing as far as possible from parts I already own. I'm lucky to have a good pot to pick from.

Initially I'll be using my Y2K Condor as a donor bike: TA Zephyr cranks, XT hubs, T217 rims, M732 brakes, SunTour XC Pro pedals, 9-speed Shimano gearing, Tubus racks. As I have more time, things may get a little more idiosyncratic. Watch this space.

legrandefromage":2hf2o4yy said:
I have the same book...
It doesn't have the agitprop energy of the original Richard's Bicycle Book, but it's worth three quid of anybody's money just for the glossy retro pictures.

...and have been trying to recreate something like that for a while.
I'd been on the lookout for a long time, and was pleased as Punch to land this one. The owner had just bought himself a Merlin Cyrène...

Re:

Do either of you happen to still be on here? I would love to see a full page version of that ad. I'm in the process of a rebuild of an old Cannondale tourer 88-89 st1000 and it would be awesome to have.

Back