Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel SE

yo-Nate-y

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
This just arrived in my hot little hands yesterday.
http://ifbikesblog.blogspot.com/2009/06 ... meset.html

My first [new/modern] bike. I'll be building it up with Centaur or Chorus. Thomson stem/post in black. Or maybe a ti post to match the CK headset that came with it. We'll see about the rest.....I need to sell off some more spare parts and do this frame justice. In the meantime, here's the canvas!

Attachments

• ferarri_full.jpg
    ferarri_full.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 8,679
  • ferarri_front.jpg
    ferarri_front.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 8,679
  • ferarri_HT.jpg
    ferarri_HT.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 8,679
  • ferarri_ST.jpg
    ferarri_ST.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 8,679
Right? Kinda makes me want to throw some white and blue on and take it from Ferrari to Mondrian instead.

That is lovely. The joints between tubes are so smooth, it looks like it's made out of just paint rather than metal.

Nate,
This is a beautiful bike. You have great taste. It has been so long since I bought new and don't know what I would pick for a color. I like what you chose ....
Enjoy the ride,
T

Wow, very nice frame.

Will you be going with carbon Campag or the slightly older alloy? I'm not sure quite why but relatively slender steel frames somehow look more 'right' with alloy bits, to me at least. And, for the same reason, handbuilt wheels.

Regardless, it's going to be a great bike to ride, you must be well pleased.

Thanks guys. I am really excited to build it up!

I *have* to finish the Chris Chance first, but all that needs is a seatpost and cable stops. Then I need to sell off some parts and maybe a Brave or two to fund the build for this one.... I think I am looking at late spring. I am set to finally finish grad school then, so I am thinking of this as a graduation present to myself. IF's are 'dentist bikes,' right? Might work for a phd too ;)

As to the question of carbon vs. alloy---
I was thinking alloy, but the black/grey/silver mix of the carbon groups would look pretty awesome, and would be easier to get a hold of....we'll see. The wheel plan is to get a set built by Peter White, since he did all the old Fats and that connection is part of why I always wanted an IF. Silver hubs and black rims would look sweet.

Back