Raleigh Europa Team

PIGEON

Retro Guru
Just picked up this bike:

dsc00102dw.jpg

I've always kind of wanted a Raleigh in Team attire, and I could get this for pretty cheap so I went for it. My understanding is it's not a particularly high end model this one, and I wasn't sure of what to do with it until I saw the state the bike was in (restore, ride as is or fixed wheel). The frame is in ok-ish shape, lots of touch ups in a slightly brighter red but otherwise fine. The brakes are knackered and the gears and stuff are tat. Everything's a different make, pretty much all major vintage brands seem to be represented. Nothing nice though, except maybe the Shimano AX front mech which wasn't low end when it was new. After seeing Pointer's superb Raleigh Team Track I deceded go go fixed wheel. Cable guides, shift levers and front mech are all clamp-on, so it shouldn't look too unnatural with them removed.

What's got me a tiny bit worried is sizing, especially the bottom bracket. Will I run into unforeseen problems with components that won't fit? Also, does anybody have a clue as to the age of this bike? Early seventies I presume, judging by the centrepull brakes and the sticker on the downtube that says "Champion 1970-1971"

That's a Carlton pattern frame, with wrapover seat stay and Crespera lugs. It matches the one in the 1974 - 5 Raleigh catalogue, so I'd guess your Europa is a similar vintage:

Europa.jpg

Latest posts

Back