The Scrapman Cometh! Carlton content.

dubmaster77

Dirt Disciple
The scrap man cometh!!!!!

Spent the day stripping the Dawes and the OLMO.... Gutted I have to go back to work next week.....

Took The dawes up the road to get powder coated so that should be back next week OLMO of to Mercian for a posh Job!!!

Such a delicate frame.

Photo-0219.jpg

If only one was any good at photography!!

Anyhow while driving home daydreaming thinking I had best clear the garage out as my Missus is running out of patience with "our" Bike collection, Turning into the grove I almost crashed into the rag and bone man... As he pulled out I noticed a destinctive shape sticking out of his pick up!! So I had to give chase hopping that distinctive shape would just be some gas pipe abomination..... It was'nt...

Twas this!

Photo-0215.jpg

Photo-0216.jpg

Photo-0217.jpg

Reynolds 531 tubing to boot!!

Shame about this...

Photo-0218.jpg

Now residing unceromoniously in my 1973 saabs engine bay in the Garage!!

Sadly my old Saab is to rusty to repair so shall be going to the big car graveyard in the sky anytime soon!

allowing me to have my own dedicated Bicycle workshop!!

My missus says i can have as many bikes as one can fit in the Garage!!

Im thinking of singlespeeding it... Removing the mud guards... Keeping the rack and dynamo lights.
My Peugeots gears keep working so I have left them on, but this is shot!
Whddya reckon?

Ye'll need a few tweaks with the spoke key on that wheel- if ye look closely, it seems slightly out of true.........

I had one of these and loved it...they came in 531 plain and butted main tubes I believe, mine also had 531 forks though these were bent, I replaced the forks with Raleigh equivalent resprayed it set it up as a tourer come toe path bike and rode it and rode and rode it for about 2 years before deciding it was a little too big(22") and sold it...I would defo have another if I could get one in 21"...they came with pressed rear dropouts with no deraillieur provision and forged ones (Raleigh badged Suntour ones I believe).
Seat post on mine was 27.2mm and it even had a Blackburn rack fitted to it! it came free like yours as scrap from the side of a house in Wales whilst visiting...sold it to a fRench guy living in London who loved it!
Here's a few pics;
2ii8whe.jpg

miz3tf.jpg

e8mxaq.jpg

33coqxg.jpg

986jwl.jpg

now your asking, IIRC it was 1979, all the gears (Suntour) cranks(SR) etc were badged Raleigh as were the bars, brakes, rims were Weinmann 27"s mated to Maillard hubs though I changed them to 700 c's as tyres were easier to get, I had to get a deeper brake for the front IIRC . I fitted later suicide levers the ones where the extra lever goes into the lever blade side I found them to work fine when set up correctly and with new pads and I live in Derbyshire which is pretty hilly!

Nice Find

:D Carlton,s being a Worksop made product make our local scrap men a little bit more savvie when they get them so they know what they are worth when they re-sell them on to us local bikers.If yours was free it was a really great find & well worth repairing I,d get a new back 27 X 1/4 wheel if the bike was mine they are cheap & easy to locate but please don,t fixie it! :cry: :D

Im past riding fixed but adore single speeds!! This is on the back burner for now... Ill see where my concious takes me! :roll:

Back