Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:40 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:11 pm 
Retro Guru

this is currently hanging fron garage roof awaiting work , its a early 80's R.E.W. REYNOLDS of 159, wellingborough rd, northampton .in original orange with original stickers and 10 years worth of dust .
sturmey archer 3 speed gears both rims totally rusted so scrap only not sure on going 5speed or re rim the s a hub or just go single speed freewheel ?
still has the original bluemels light weight mud guards ,europa sprung seat, a working and slightly rusty miller dynamo & lights .

no lightwieght but no heavy wieght either , trying to clean up hub to date bike but to cold to get in garage .

will add some pics as i get them and let you know what i decide on

Attachments:
rew.jpg
rew.jpg [ 56.02 KiB | Viewed 4255 times ]

Last edited by biggs682 on Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:13 am 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

I learned to build wheels using a booklet published by him, I lost it years ago and wish I still had it as it was very straightforward to follow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:00 am 
Retro Guru

That looks fantastic - I love the deep orange paint. I'm fancying a Sturmey Archer geared bike on 26" wheels myself at the moment and on that basis alone - keep it as is!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:08 pm 
Retro Guru

just a quick up date have gone for 27" single freewheel for time being on flat bars till i have tried bike a few times then may change to alloy bits to reduce the 1 ton it tips the scales at mo and give it a clean , will try and put pic on 2moro .

just also ridden 1.5 miles on it with a 48 fr and 13 rear freewheel cog with dynamo on , boy do my legs ache . have also started cleaning frame up now so its starting to come together slowly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:10 pm 
Retro Guru

just a quick note just done its 1 st day as commuter bike and boy it went well , just adjustments and a change of saddle to a nice old retro plastic brooks and same bar tape on end of the flats till i decide on flats or drops , still not sure

Post subject: 11
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:26 pm 
Retro Guru

further update

having now used for 2 weeks and no problems , will start its diet of reducing steel parts for alloy parts , still cant make my mind up re wheels
ie stay on 27's or go 700's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:42 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Ah, good choice.

I bought a knackered BSA roadster from the early sixties, I stripped it down and left it in a bike box for about a year and a half...until the other day.

Similar bike as that but dropped it into the metal works for media blast and orange powder coat, I also dropped in a set of these for orange powder coat as well.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/westwood-26- ... prod22137/

I didnt know whether to go roadster or guvnor until I saw this

Cream wheels have arrived, will probably slap it all together with sturmey archer sc2 duomatic hub and X-FD for the front.

Just some thoughts for you, looks like I be starting the project from next week.

Mind you, will i leave it at the station, probably not :(

Last edited by Dogbreath on Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:07 pm 
Retro Guru

Nice bike! 48/13 gearing is brave though!

I thought I'd chip in about the wheels as I'm running a bike built for 27's and I've got 700c's on it with 700x20c tyres. They look a bit small and skinny because the frame has taller clearance for 27's and mudguards. My advice would be if you choose 700c's, go for a rim that isn't too skinny and use a minimum 28mm wide tyre or they'll look a bit too small and under-tyred.

There's a seller on eBay called Mattempleton who has new 27's with a polished alloy rim if that's what you're looking for, about £80 per pair.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:38 pm 
Retro Guru

have picked up a nice set of 27" alloys on new style shimano hubs from a complete bike i brought cheap of e bay and have earmarked them but still not sure , tuch wood going well so might just leave as is and change the bar and stem for alloy as just won a set of alloys bars of the bay cheap .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:16 pm 
Retro Guru

suffered a rr puncture today not bad considering still on its original Barum tyres & tubes