Lemond Zurich

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Just received this and, shamefully, using the photos from the previous owner (hope he doesn't mind :oops: ). Really interested in trying out the fabled Lemond geometry.

Anyway, Lemond Zurich in 853 with painted to match carbon forks. The serial number can't be made out and I'm not sure on the year but 853 was introduced in 1995 so, with the threaded headset, I'm going with that year (although if anyone has a more accurate date that would be great). Bit surprised that it's band on rather than braze on for the front mech.

Frame is in very tidy nick and looks better than in the photos. There is some surface corrosion that I'll treat and touch up so that things don't get any worse but very serviceable for me (Melvin would probably say that it was up to Ed standard).

Build wise I've got two obvious choices from existing bits in the shed, and one of the few road frames that going with Shimano feels right:
- Shimano 600 groupset
- Dura Ace 7400 groupset

The latter group has a potential home so may well go with the former and if I get a move on could possibly have it built for the Retro Road Ride on the 17th.

Attachments

• lemond2_114.jpg
    lemond2_114.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 3,483
  • lemond0_128.jpg
    lemond0_128.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 3,483
I've got a Zurich in very attractive blue paint job with yellow decals. Bought new in '98 as frame & fork, might be a '97 or '98 model. Have a feeling the Zurich went alu after that. Mine still has threaded headset & the painted carbon forks.
Got mix of Ultegra 6400 & 6500 on mine. Also some zip-tied on SKS mudguards! Nice bike but the chainstays rusted right through in a couple of areas. Only small holes which I filled & painted & don't seem to have got worse. There was an article in Cycling + back along about their test bike's stays corroding also.

ededwards":2w3zpbat said:
Just received this and, shamefully, using the photos from the previous owner (hope he doesn't mind :oops: ).

Don't mind Ed, glad you're in the process of sorting it out! The bike originally came with a Simano 105 9 speed groupset and Mavic Cosmos wheels, if that's any help. I would have hung on to it if it had been small enough for me, but the components are now hanging off a nice "Colnago" badged frame that isn't a Colnago at all, but at least it fits me.

Gordon

Thanks Gordon, planning to stick on a 600 'tricolour' groupset so doesn't sound too far off what it was originally.

I'm intrigued by the issue of the rusty chainstays thoughas I've a couple of other offroad bikes that are 853 and they have not suffered at all. That said, 853 is only ever for main tubes so guessing that the chainstays are 4130, 653, 631 or similar - what are they on the Lemond? I wonder if the Lemonds were designed with a dry, warm climate in mind and so the tubes were sealed/semi sealed? Not that it's of great importance, just wondering.

I had one of these but it was way too unforgiving and the geometry was just wrong for me. Probably fine in a larger size though.

Datewise 96/7 sounds about right. I got my De Rosa in 98 and had had the Lemond for just under a year before that and it had been in the catalog the previous year.

Back