Gazelle Champion Mondial

jCymbal

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi guys,

I've been after one of these for some time. Last November I finnaly found one. Altough not my favorite color it's exactly my size and got it for a price that I could aford. Here "she" is the day "she" got home.

Gazelle002.jpg

Gazelle001.jpg

It's going to take lots of work to get "her" back rolling and I'm going to enjoy every minute of it. :cool:

As time is short these days I started with an easy bit or so I thought. Here are the pedals.

CampaAthenaPedals_02.jpg

The right pedal is missing the original clip fixing plate and bolts. The axle plastic cups have seen better days too.

CampaAthenaPedals_03.jpg

At least they come with the original leather straps. Dirty and dry!
CampaStraps_01.jpg

While the straps were in a "bath" I tried to clean the seatpin bolt.

Seatpin01.jpg

Seatpin02.jpg

After some work most of the rust was gone but with that crushed, bent washer plus the loose allen key hole I decided to use a new one. Had this already in my parts box. :cool:

Campaseatpin.jpg

Unfortunately the handlebars that came with it are just too wide for me so I removed the handlebar tape, brake levers and cables.

The bars still need to be cleaned.
3tttgimondi01.jpg

3tttgimondi02.jpg

3tttgimondi03.jpg

The levers seem in a good state. Only need to clean the hoods.
CampaLevers_02.jpg

Also removed the brakes for cleaning. They seem to have a bit of rust in some bolts but apart from the dried pads seem OK.
CampaAthenaBrakes_01.jpg

It looks a nice example to me, so great she found a good home. Nice Athena groupset on an AB-frame. It does day AB-frame on the chainstay?

I can't see how the rear brake cable is routed in the 1st pic. You have a close up pic of it? What does the serial say?

Yes, it does say AB frame in the chainstay.

Here's that serial:
Gazelle005.jpg

Last weekend I run into the first setback. The stem is frozen in the forks. I removed the stem wedge and fixing bolt. I think it's frozen in a mix of rust and old dried grease. I tried several methods but with no luck. This past weekend I turn the bike upside-down, closed the stem hole with a cut down wine cork and drop some penetrating oil in the steerer. After 48 hours some little drops of oil started coming out. :D

I'll wait the rest of week before trying again to remove the little bugger. Wish me luck. In the mean time I did a "to do list". I can say I'll be busy for a while. :cool:
ToDoList.jpg

Another setback. :( The left shifter is missing a part. I suspected it when I saw the wing nut sunk into the lever. Got exploded view from a campagnolo catalogue and it's confirmed. I'm missing the conical nylon washer. No 12 in that view.

Leftlever.jpg

With out this washer the shifter won't hold its position so the chain keeps falling to the small chain ring.

I remember I had this older campagnolo shifters in my parts box.
Campylevers.jpg

I took them apart and found a similiar conical nylon washer.
DSCN1433.jpg

Took it to the Athena shifter and it fits perfectly. :D Now I can ride the Gazelle while I search for that little washer. If any of you have a spare one please let me know! :cool:

In the mean time the straps came out of the bath. They're dried and straight now. Cleaned and assembled the plastic caps as well.

CampaStraps02-1.jpg

Still need to flatten that little metal tab and apply some bees wax to the leather.
CampaStraps03.jpg

jCymbal":pazyrf9o said:
While the straps were in a "bath" I tried to clean the seatpin bolt.

Seatpin01.jpg

Seatpin02.jpg

After some work most of the rust was gone but with that crushed, bent washer plus the loose allen key hole I decided to use a new one. Had this already in my parts box. :cool:

Campaseatpin.jpg
Did the old rusty bolt have had a "locating tooth" ? I see the new Campag one has visible "knurling" to lock it in place.

I think that is a cracking bicycle. You said it was not you preferred colour but it has a visual strength. The bicycle has a nice balance to it. I'm going to keep my eyes open for a Gazelle.

Back