Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:45 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:45 pm 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:42 pm
Posts: 5132
Location: Wakefield, Yorkshire
Well, our fellow member Toomski showing his latest project has inspired me to start a thread on my most recent acquisition which will probably be the next project on my list of things to do (only 2 or 3 to go after this) and which could be ready in the new year if my buying policy works!

It is another Dave Russell time trial jobbie, again built by Bill Grey and dating to 1972. I got it about a month ago after being tipped off that it was for sale. Resprayed by the last owner in 1979 and not used since. I think that he also had gear lever bosses, under bracket cable guides and bottle bosses added at the the time because I'm sure that they weren't there when it was first built.

How do I know that I hear you ask. I know because it was originally built for me and, owing to severe impecunity in 1973, I had to sell it (and a Woodrup) so that my family could eat! So, 37 years later, it has 'come home' so to speak. The Prodigal Bike. With it came a Campag 177.5 Pista crank set, 28 spoke wheels (not the ones in the photo), brakes and one or two other items that I recognised as being mine all that time ago.

It was built very short at the back as the photos show which is why vertical dropouts were used but even with these a small section tyre is needed. In deference to my aging legs it will be fitted with a double ring and the 59 tooth Williams ring that came with it will not be used!

The main items I need to be able to start assembly are a Cinelli 14cm 1A stem (short top tube) and a 44tooth 151BCD chainring (early Campag or Williams) and a period headset. If a Campag compatible bracket set with a 112-ish axle appeared this would be a help too.

I've a hankering to fit it out as a 'Drillium' style machine so could be spending a bit of time on the lathe milling and drilling. That should save a couple of ounces - or several grams!

Anyway, here are some shots of it as a starter.


Attachments:
72DaveRussellNov10.2.A.jpg
72DaveRussellNov10.2.A.jpg [ 127.38 KiB | Viewed 2412 times ]
72DaveRussellNov10.3.A.jpg
72DaveRussellNov10.3.A.jpg [ 129.8 KiB | Viewed 2412 times ]
72DaveRussellNov10.4.A.jpg
72DaveRussellNov10.4.A.jpg [ 134.49 KiB | Viewed 2412 times ]


Last edited by Old Ned on Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:13 am 
Old School Hero

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:54 pm
Posts: 235
Location: Belfast
I really like those campag wheels.

Nice frame too.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:38 pm 
Concours Judge
Concours Judge
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:59 pm
Posts: 8171
Location: a proper EU country
I really liked that other Dave Russell :D and this looks to be a great starting point for another great ride too 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:35 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:56 pm
Posts: 1032
Location: West Yorkshire
Wow, that is close clearance. I too liked the previous DR (I think I voted for it in RBoTM) and yeah this would be great with some drilled out bits. How about minimal handlebar tape, one of those unpadded plastic "10 mile" saddles and the Jubilee mech. Just a shame there's no PX Old Skool next year to ride it in.

It's a brave man that drills out old Campag rings nowadays though. Aren't they a bit pricey in 151BCD?

Looking forward to seeing this one take shape.

Mark.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:37 pm 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:42 pm
Posts: 5132
Location: Wakefield, Yorkshire
daccordimark wrote:
Wow, that is close clearance. I too liked the previous DR (I think I voted for it in RBoTM) and yeah this would be great with some drilled out bits. How about minimal handlebar tape, one of those unpadded plastic "10 mile" saddles and the Jubilee mech. Just a shame there's no PX Old Skool next year to ride it in.

It's a brave man that drills out old Campag rings nowadays though. Aren't they a bit pricey in 151BCD?

Looking forward to seeing this one take shape.

Mark.


Thanks for the vote! It is close (15.5" chainstays!) but this is a fat tubular, I have some clincher tyres that are smaller. It'll be OK with light TT'ing tubs. I was thinking of having 'half' bar tape, drilled Weinmann levers and stirrups, white plastic saddle, milled-out grooved seat pin, cut-out Campag DT levers, maybe the Jubilee mech, old logo Cinelli 64 bars. It is a 120 rear end so I'm going to have to do a bit of 'fudging' between hubs and wheels to get a couple of pairs that will fit this and the other DR which is the same width. I've got a pair of NOS Miche SF 120 hubs and a pair of MA2 rims which will ultimately go together as 'general' riding wheels and assorted Campag hubs (Record and Gran Sport) from which I will hopefully be able to get a couple of pairs that can be built into some GP4's I have. Hours of endless fun ahead sorting out axles and cones! :D

I was also given a lovely pair of LF Suntour Superbe hubs over the weekend which are nominally 126 wide but I reckon I can turn some shorter spacers to reduce them to 120 which will be handy. They can also go with some GP4's.

I seem to be collecting an assortment of 5 and Compact 6 speed blocks in a variety of sprocket combinations from 12-17 to 14-28 so this will allow plenty of variety.

Regarding rings, I have a Williams 46t and various Campag 151 rings (51, 52 53 etc.) but would like a 44 just to get the lowest gear I can in this size. Other than that I will have to look around for a 'newer' chainset that takes the 42 (144 bcd) ring. All my rings are 'getting on' a bit so I've no qualms about drilling them. I'll try doing it using the lathe/pillar drill so should be able to do it accurately.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:06 am 
Retro Guru

Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:27 am
Posts: 414
Location: Staffordshire
Just a shame there's no PX Old Skool next year to ride it in.


Mark.[/quote]

Maybe we should have a one-off retro bike time trial.........I'd be up for the slowest time prize.... :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:42 am 
Retro Guru

Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:29 pm
Posts: 503
mavesyn wrote:
Just a shame there's no PX Old Skool next year to ride it in.


Mark.


Maybe we should have a one-off retro bike time trial.........I'd be up for the slowest time prize.... :lol:[/quote]

That's not a bad idea. I'm pretty sure I'd be in the running for the slowest time though!

The bike looks lovely, it must be a great feeling to get one back that you let go. The clearances really are minimal with those tyres on :shock:

I've been wondering about a drillium style bike, it's an interesting idea, I have an old frame that I might try drilling the dropouts on, it's in pretty poor condition anyway, so I've got little to lose.

The 151 cranks are getting in short supply it seems, I'm having a nightmare finding some for the Carlton at a reasonable price. I suspect the rings are no easier to find.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:14 pm 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:42 pm
Posts: 5132
Location: Wakefield, Yorkshire
I've been wondering about a Retrobike Old Skool TT for a year or two now. It could be run under TLI rules as you don't have to go through all the CTT date fixing etc. palaver. I did query this with a top TLI official last year in case the PLanet X events didn't happen and was told there shouldn't be a problem provided an existing course was used with all the risk assesments etc. already in place. Publicity shouldn't be a problem as it can be publicised here, on the TT forum etc. and those who are really interested would be the ones who would enter. With TLI, entry on the line is permitted but riders would need to be TLI members which - I think - can be done on a 'day' basis for on-the-day entries.

A couple of timekeepers, RB marshalls, a tea urn and an HQ - sorted!

But who is going to organise it - if it happens at all?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:42 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:27 am
Posts: 414
Location: Staffordshire
Old Ned wrote:
I've been wondering about a Retrobike Old Skool TT for a year or two now. It could be run under TLI rules as you don't have to go through all the CTT date fixing etc. palaver. I did query this with a top TLI official last year in case the PLanet X events didn't happen and was told there shouldn't be a problem provided an existing course was used with all the risk assesments etc. already in place. Publicity shouldn't be a problem as it can be publicised here, on the TT forum etc. and those who are really interested would be the ones who would enter. With TLI, entry on the line is permitted but riders would need to be TLI members which - I think - can be done on a 'day' basis for on-the-day entries.

A couple of timekeepers, RB marshalls, a tea urn and an HQ - sorted!

But who is going to organise it - if it happens at all?


Or could a retro biker, who is a active member of a cycling club, ask said -cycling club, wether they'd like a dozen old fools on old bikes, to come along to one of there TT's. And each person who entered could pay a fiver or tenner to the organizing club.......


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:07 pm 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:42 pm
Posts: 5132
Location: Wakefield, Yorkshire
mavesyn wrote:
Old Ned wrote:
I've been wondering about a Retrobike Old Skool TT for a year or two now. It could be run under TLI rules as you don't have to go through all the CTT date fixing etc. palaver. I did query this with a top TLI official last year in case the PLanet X events didn't happen and was told there shouldn't be a problem provided an existing course was used with all the risk assesments etc. already in place. Publicity shouldn't be a problem as it can be publicised here, on the TT forum etc. and those who are really interested would be the ones who would enter. With TLI, entry on the line is permitted but riders would need to be TLI members which - I think - can be done on a 'day' basis for on-the-day entries.

A couple of timekeepers, RB marshalls, a tea urn and an HQ - sorted!

But who is going to organise it - if it happens at all?


Or could a retro biker, who is a active member of a cycling club, ask said -cycling club, wether they'd like a dozen old fools on old bikes, to come along to one of there TT's. And each person who entered could pay a fiver or tenner to the organizing club.......


Sounds like a normal local evening 10 to me..............................


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Mac2016 and 17 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group