1970's Carlton build.

playford

Retro Guru
Just a thread to detail the build of my 1970's carlton.

Heres how I first saw it.

5181829003_fea4faf85f.jpg

Then it was stripped, I stripped the frame and painted forks black so far.

5186529331_73376dca64.jpg

Picked up this crank last night

5188162810_92fd67667e.jpg

Should be nice with a good clean.

Took chain off frame and decals arrived from llyods today same ones as on this bike...

5173581018_0dbd53e919.jpg

Also tracked down a NOS raleigh headset, god I love 26tpi threading lol

5190526656_40c54fa12a.jpg

here's it getting sprayed indoors tonight..lol

note to self dont spend £20 stripping and painting a frame that you can powdercoat for £40.

You are steaming into this build! I would still be in the "looking at it while drinking cups of tea" phase. Keep those pictures coming - I'll really enjoy watching this one.

5190334593_4e3ca1ce7d.jpg

just wacked the decals on bit tricky but not bad for a first go, still to get lacquered.

lacquer, then new headset to be installed.

thanks for the interest goldie :)

Bit confused as to what direction to take from here.

I have a set of chrome weinman brake levers and working full set of centre pulls brakes in nice nick and a 27" 5 speed wheelset along with simplex lever and derailleur.

Problem is when I put them up against frame they just dont look right now.

frame looks too modern/clean beside the vintage kit :s

.put the new headset on today, it didnt come with bearings though, which im not best pleased about so ill have to order some from ebay. Crank arrived and after a load of engine degreaser too all the oil off it its basically as new chrome, will look great.

Half thinking black aero shimano 105's and brakes (depending on drop) and some black mavics, like an updated semi track style but not fixie skidder ish. Maybe a smoother stem like a cinelli 1A style as well.

hopefully it'll just evolve way it needs too, well see what parts turn up too.

5195437922_beb77f2553_z.jpg

Saddle and Crank fitted, nice! I mocked up the stem and bars to see how they looked, had considered swapping but think they look dead on.

Need bearings for headset, Think I'm gonna go for aero drop brake levers and black vinyl bar tape.

Back