My 1st Road bike 1979

jCymbal

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hello! I'd like to show you my first road bike.

I bought it new in 1979 when I was still a kid. I saved some money and borrowed the rest to buy this bike. I still remember when I went to the store to get "her". It looked like the most beautiful bike to my eyes. I was still to short for it and remember riding home siting on the top tube every once in awhile. When I wished to stop I just had to find a sidewalk high enough to get my foot down without falling over. I rode it all day long during those summers through the 80's. I stopped ridding it so often when I got my 1st mtb around the late 80's. Me and my brother would go into the countryside exploring all those rural paths. He was never a road man.

After college I stopped cycling. ~10 years later in the summer of 2009, I don't why, I remembered my old road bike still there in the attic. I brought it down and tried to bring it back to life.

vilarspeedvi022.jpg

vilarspeedvi025-1.jpg

vilarspeedvi026.jpg

vilarspeedvi027.jpg

vilarspeedvi029.jpg

Tried to clean every bit and after some new parts, like brake pads, cables, bar tape and wheels I still managed to do 800km that summer.

vilarspeedvi071a.jpg

vilarspeedvi073a.jpg

vilarspeedvi074a.jpg

vilarspeedvi061.jpg

vilarspeedvi062.jpg

vilarspeedvi063.jpg

vilarspeedvi067.jpg

During the following winter I began toying with the idea of striping the old paint and do a face lift on the old machine.

vilarspeedvi107.jpg

After what seemed like a long winter, I began striping the old paint. It was a job that took me several weekends.

vilarspeedvi108.jpg

Then primer and paint followed. Around May 2010 "she" was ready to be assembled again.

vilarspeedvi120.jpg

vilarspeedvi127a.jpg

vilarspeedvi126a.jpg

Been riding it since then. That white cloth bar tape got dirty really fast. Yesterday was a rainy day so I finally decided to replace it with a new one and put the original chromed steel bars and stem back.

Vilar303_.jpg

Vilar302_.jpg

I know it's no "ferrari" but... I bought it new back in 1979 and it has been with me all these years. Many kms, many adventures and it still works. It's priceless to me.

Thank you! :cool:

Great story. Looks like you've done a good job with the restoration. It looks a lot better than it did!

Keep enjoying it :D

Back