Bosomworth neo-retro build

brettok

Retro Newbie
Inspired by a lot of the bikes on this site, and by my father's restoration projects, I decided to ditch the high end carbon frame and Japanese parts and seek out a steel frame and some Italian goodness.

I've always said my dream bike would be a high-end steel frame with Campy, something like a Baum, Speedvagen, IF or similar. And I've always loved old Colnagos, Merckxs and Wiliers etc. With not enough funds to get a custom frame, I scoured the net for something a little older, a little cheaper.

I found this NZ custom made Bosomworth (Columbus SL) online, and did a bit of fact finding. I picked it up for just $220NZ, and ordered up a Chorus 11 gruppo. I wanted the bike to be my everyday ride, so a full vintage build wasn't considered, and I wanted it to be kinda light too.

Further net searches garnered me an ITM Eclypse 120mm stem ($40) and some Chorus hubs laced to dameaged Open Pros ($60), which I had laced into new Ambrosio Excellence clinchers, w/ DT Comp spokes, 32h 3x.

I am waiting on a NOS ITM Eclypse 130mm stem ($60) and an ITM Millenium Carbon bar ($40) to arrive, and will fit them. Also need a Campy alloy seatpost, the borrowed one looks ok but is too short, and am also trying to source some Campy skewers.

Tony with the other Bozzie sent me some original decals, and I replaced the damaged ones. Cheers Tony.

The bike rides really nicely, with the typical steel smoothness and springiness, and feels lighter than its 9kg weight. It brings a smile to my face, and I don't miss the carbon bike at all.

Links to the story of it's transformation... Part 1 Part 2

Attachments

• Bosomworth1.jpg
    Bosomworth1.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 2,577
  • Bosomworth3.jpg
    Bosomworth3.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 2,576
  • Bosomworth4.jpg
    Bosomworth4.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 2,576
  • Bosomworth2.jpg
    Bosomworth2.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 2,576
Good to see an NZ made bike here, I actually rang Frank Clavis the other day regarding some Sturmey Archer wheel nuts for my '68 two speed hub. Top bloke.

Beautiful paint on that! :cool:

willbowden":2bn5xcrv said:
:cool:

Thats another one I'd happily hang above the fireplace and just look at.

Will :)

Well, it sits in my lounge room and gets looked at, but then it gets taken out and ridden!

A blend of old and new that works surprisingly well. It deserves a prettier crankset though. What's the saddle?

Well, I think the crankset is sexy! And eventually, all the parts will be swapped to a more modern steel frame, with this one getting a more 'classic' build.

The saddle is a Specialized Toupe, ti rails.

Cheers.

brettok":1exlv2ma said:
Well, I think the crankset is sexy!
I don't disagree entirely, but it's latex dominatrix sexy while the rest of the bike is all rosy cheeks, freckles and pigtails. A slim aluminium 10-speed Record crank would suit the bike so much better.

And eventually, all the parts will be swapped to a more modern steel frame, with this one getting a more 'classic' build.
A SunTour Superbe Pro group would look lovely, if you can find one.

Back