Freecycle 531 Raleigh

Jonny69

Senior Retro Guru
I posted this bike up sometime last year with a bunch of my other bikes but thought since I've been lingering and my collection is growing I'd post up some fresh pics and give this bike a thread of its own.

This is how I picked it up:

IMG_2991.JPG

It's a Raleigh Strada, I think early to mid 90's with a 531 frame:

IMG_2997.JPG

The original intention was to chop it up and turn it into another 20's style board track bike but it was too nice to cut, so I gave it a barebones build, a polish and a lick of paint and I use it as my main daily hack. This is what it looked like until I made a few riding position tweaks:

IMG_3000.JPG

Then I changed the tyres and had an accident on my RSW-66 so had to crank the bars up to take the pressure off my wrists and this is how I'm rolling it now:

IMG_6071.JPG

Was really amazed how much weight the tyres shaved off. Total weight is about 9.2kg according to the scales. Note the seriously tatty and battered brake levers though:

IMG_6076.JPG

I decided since this bike has served me so well and rides really nicely I'd splash out on a good set of Shimano 105 levers and new hoods. Probably could have got some brand new Tektro levers for the price but these are really nice:

IMG_6077.JPG

The bike is due a rebuild. Bit of rust poking through the paint because I didn't clean it properly after all the salt last winter and the aluminium bits could do with another going over with some polish. I need to check and re-grease the bearings and stuff. Update on this soon, and I'll add it to this thread.

You're on Retro Rides aren't you! I don't go on there as much as I used to...

Can't believe you got it off of freecycle, that's amazing. Very nice bike.

The Campagnolo aero bottle in the first photo is probably worth as much as the bike!

Argh, I hope you're not serious. I threw it in the bin :shock:

I think I remember it was a bit manky though.

Also saw this on your retro-rides thread, you aren't half a jammy bugger. Good to see some familiar faces here :)
Nice looking levers!

What is it they say, when the cat is away the mice will play?

So I'm working in the living room. I've fitted my new Shimano 105 SLR brake levers and re-wrapped the handlebars in red. I'm not 100% sure I like them and I think I might go back to black, what do you think?

IMG_6094.JPG

IMG_6095.JPG

And my god, are Forello/Silva stingy with their handlebar wrap length or what? I had to unwrap them twice to get them to reach :D

I think I prefer them in black too IMO. The tyres aren't a bright enough red to match properly.

You can always re-use it on something else though.

frinkmakesyouthink":znkxgj1f said:
I think I prefer them in black too IMO. The tyres aren't a bright enough red to match properly.

You can always re-use it on something else though.
Likewise, I liked the stealth look better. Nice and evil :twisted:

That campag bottle, I can remember trying to get my dad to buy me one of those for my first racer when I was about 9, and I can remember the look of mild horror on his face and the triangular no-name bottle I actually ended up with. I know why now...

Back