My Gazelle sprinter and newly acquired Marlboro tourer

biggs682

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
evening all ,

hi the pale blue bike is badged as a Marlboro , believed from around the mid 80s accoring to gent i obtained it from , really nice lug work etc etc , wnybody ever heard about them and its racing team ?

just a few words introducing my new to me Gazelle sprinter to you all , 531 frame , campag hubs on steel rims , built in dynamo set all working , more spec to come as i get time to look and list .

anybody managed to work out dating of gazelle frame numbers ?

hopefully this will be commuter along with the old work horse marin

Attachments

• gazelle.jpg
    gazelle.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 4,541
  • marlboro.jpg
    marlboro.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 4,458
Regarding the Marlborough team, they were sponsoring along with Ever-Ready around '84/85 but I also have a feeling that Tony Doyle might have ridden for them as a 'lone rider' a bit later? Search for Marlborough on this site -

http://www.memoire-du-cyclisme.net/

The relevant pages provide info on the riders and the jerseys.

However, I would doubt that the team bikes would have been actual Marlboroughs as they tended to sell more of the 'middle of the road' type machines rather than race level light weights.

i was told by original owner , it was built using an ex team frame , it certainly has very fancy lugs , considering its an unknown brand , will post some lug photos later

managed to get out today on the marlboro lovely to ride will have to ditch the solid green tyre on the front , as not enough give made everything rattle all the time

Back