PEKA

Elev12k

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
My new PEKA

This evening I and fellow forummember yo-eddy made a little bicycle collection roundtrip. This PEKA was my score.

I got the PEKA from a guy who's father worked with Peter Serier in the Amsterdam Peperkamp shop. The guy told he was a quite good racer in his youth, but about the time he took delivery of his new around him designed PEKA he developed more interest in beer and women. Hence the PEKA didn't see much use and had been tidyly stored away for decades.

I am a fan of Peter Serier's work. He is a pragmatic builder with very good eye for detail. I already showed you some of that with for example my Prestos of which some are also built by Serier. This PEKA is no different.

...but with the PEKA Serier not only build another great frame, no, he went a bit futher with his refinement. Spot the Nuovo Record aero levers with internally through the bars routed cables. I have been told it took 5 bars before they were happy with the result.

4905849290_de9daf13f8_b.jpg

Pic of the previous owner. Bike looks very good overall. That Concor seat was blue once, exactly matching with frame. Blue are also the bar plugs and the end tape. I think I will do a little overhaull: fresh tape, fresh tyres and fitting the NR cranks caps. I do have that same seat, but is reserved for another build. For the levers I consider going with blue Velox cotton, instead of conventional hoods. I am really looking forward to riding this. It is my size.

I do not have photos yet. I am working on the bike atm. Repacking bearings with Motorex grease and of course the fresh tyres and tape. It is nice working on it, as it is beautifull piece.

Hi people,

The PEKA got its extensive overhaul over the last couple months. I did some tours with it already and I can say I am quite excited everytime weather is inviting me for a ride. I have pictures:

5441392301_0379b787ee_b.jpg

5441997610_96924b3f17_z.jpg

Intelligent clamp design, by Peter Serier >>

5442000574_86cec3786a_z.jpg

PEKA, from Amsterdam :) >>

5441401047_5fedff6062_z.jpg

Open ends, 1010B drop outs and Nuovo Record mech >>

5441396241_557c6b96f2_z.jpg

The cockpit with the aero-modifications >>

5441400159_78f73b59dc_z.jpg

Nice machine, I like it.

I did that with Campag brake levers in the mid 80's. Quite easy to do, drill a cable sized hole down into the back of the body and enlarge it slightly from the 'outside to cable outer diameter. File a half-round recess into the base of the lever body to allow exit of the cable.

Thank you

I've been told the routing has been on there since new. It sounds like is done in almost the same way as you describe Paul, but not quite: on that there is some material shaved away. There bumps a stepped ferrule on a vertical flat.

The PEKA is the cousin of the Presto. I posted this Presto last year already. Presto is another shop in A'dam and Peter built for both. Presto was (and still is) situated on the Haarlemmerstraat and Peperkamp on the Admiraal de Ruijterweg. At Presto there was another builder too at that time: Jan Legrand. Besides Prestos he built TI team bikes.

The little Peperkamp shop offered various bicycles under their own Peperkamp name, but the real thoroughbreds got the name PEKA. PEKA is a substraction of PEperKAmp, but also sounds exactly like 'PK', what is 'horsepower (HP)' in Dutch.

Serier Presto >>

4444941917_8cff49be1c_b.jpg

Back