Is it a Cinelli? Now with photos? Seat cluster detail

merlotaero

Retro Newbie
Hi I'm trying to confirm, or otherwise, what my frame set is and a rough age if possible. I have had it for ~ 20 years now and am looking to restore it. Having looked at numerous photos I can see many resemblances to a Cinelli but it has a number of little ndifferences.
It has an enamelled Cinelli head stock badge on a brass base.
The seat pin is secured in the seat tube by a circular pinch clamp- there are no signs of the usual pinch bolt through the rear stays.
The frame has very few braze ons except a small diamond shaped register on the down tube for the clamp on gear shifters. nThe rear brake cable outer is secured to the top tube by clips. The derallieur cables are routed to the front changer and rear changer by a clamp on "direction changer". I cannot see any serial numbers anywhere on the frame. The drop outs are marked BREV SIMPLEX. The frame has mudguard eyes and clearance. Brakes are Weinmann Type 500 front and Type 750 rear.
The frame was supplied with Suntour Cyclone GT gear changers. It has a TA user adjustable bottom bracket fitted.Seat pin,stem and bars are all 3TTT items. I'm new and will post some photos when I learn how to.
Any help will be gratefully received.[/img]

Attachments

• DSCF3488.jpg
    DSCF3488.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 1,475
  • DSCF3492.jpg
    DSCF3492.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 1,475
  • DSCF3496.jpg
    DSCF3496.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 1,475
  • DSCF3490.jpg
    DSCF3490.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,412
mmm....intriguing.First off,the forks don't look like the originals ,they are of a latter design and don't fit in with the geometry of the frame.Now the frame,it really looks very similar to a 1950's Cinelli B type ,there's one herehttp://www.cinellionly.blogspot.com/at the bottom of the page.Couple of questions,is the seat clamp bracket marked 'Cinelli'?,and what is the exact diameter of the seat post ?
Cinelli frames from this era are worth big bucks,so it's highly likely that there are fakes around,so don't get too excited just yet. :D

I agree, the most of the frame looks like a late 50's Cinelli B model, but the seat cluster looks wrong. I have seen the same seat cluster, in the last few days on the net, but at the moment can't think where...
Have you got a close up picture of the seat cluster?.

Comparing it to the one on the blog it looks exactly like a Model B to me, even the seat cluster looks the same. Agree about the forks though, the bend is in the wrong place and the crown is wrong. They do look to give about the same front wheel position though so not a bad match.

Mark.

Hi, I have just done a random search on google "1951 cinelli" and have found pictures of such a bike and it bears great resemblance, albeit this is a restored model, to mine especially in the fork crown and pointed yoke details. Any further views?

Latest posts

Back