Hinault 753 Road Bike

rusty bodie

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi all,

A few shots of my old bike:

23 1/2" Reynolds 753R tubing (i liked the 531Pro transfers at the time - 753 transfers on it now)
Cinelli Lugs, Fork Crown and Bottom Bracket Shell, Campagnolo Road Dropouts

Campagnolo Corsa Record Groupset - 8 speed index shifters
- Chainset 53/42 - 172.5mm
- 12/25t 8speed cassette
Super Record 27.2 Seatpin (Can't find a C record for under £120!)
Time Titan Magnesium Pedals
Cinelli 66-42 Bars and Cinelli Record Stem 11cm
Benotto Bar Tape
Rolls Saddle - very old and battered but megacomfy
Ambrosio Metamorphosis 32h rims - bulletproof and essential to carry me!
Vittoria Competition Tubular Tyres - why so few traditional looking tubs left?
Some modern 8 speed chain - whatever happened to Sedis Gold?!
Some modern bottle cages - can't find a TA Steel one anywhere!

Anyone got any photos of their 80s road bike?

Rusty :p

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0024-1.jpg

IMG_0028-1.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

Superbe.

Reynolds 753 R tubing (i liked the 531Pro transfers at the time - 753 now)

Is the bike actually 753 but has 531Pro stickers?

They look like Vittoria Rally tubs, looks perfect for the bike. Multicoloured and blackwall tyres should be banned on old bikes!

The brakes look like the ones with "Campagnolo" in block letters and a more rounded cross section, but there's a blue bit on the front of the main pivot. AFAIK only the later Cobalto brakes had the blue cover and they had "Campagnolo" in script letters (and filled in with blue paint), and had a more triangular shape. Or did some Cobalto brakes have the older style calipers but with the blue bit?

fiks":59tqgdnf said:
Superbe.

Reynolds 753 R tubing (i liked the 531Pro transfers at the time - 753 now)

Is the bike actually 753 but has 531Pro stickers?

They look like Vittoria Rally tubs, looks perfect for the bike. Multicoloured and blackwall tyres should be banned on old bikes!

The brakes look like the ones with "Campagnolo" in block letters and a more rounded cross section, but there's a blue bit on the front of the main pivot. AFAIK only the later Cobalto brakes had the blue cover and they had "Campagnolo" in script letters (and filled in with blue paint), and had a more triangular shape. Or did some Cobalto brakes have the older style calipers but with the blue bit?

aye, i totally agree with you - blackwall tubs should be forbidden! yes the frame is 753R all round - i found a pair of 531Pro stickers and put them on briefly but the 753 ones i have fitted now are wayyy cooler!
well spotted on the brake front! these are actually super record calipers but with the blue cobalto centre bolts! i was sold them on ebay and got them for a song so didn't complain too much when i received them and found out they were super record! corsa record cobalto brakes go for silly money these days so i doubt if this bike will ever see a pair - i like the quirkiness of the ones i've got :)

Lovely bike, it looks great.

Weren't Hinault frames built by one of the major French manufacturers?

tokoloshe":2pz5n4uk said:
Wow, that's clean. Do you get to ride it very much? Awesome bike. :cool:

no it was hinault's mechanic that built the reynolds frames for la vie claire in 85 and 86..alain descroix i think was his name. i only use the bike in the better weather over here - april to october - the salt that they spray all over the roads in the cold weather would wreck it! it's lovely to ride and i still get the "double-take" from new fellow riders who "suddenly" spot the downtube shifters and my oakley factory pilots! lol great fun.

rusty :cool:

Right, I wasn't sure about the Hinault bikes and frames, especially the team ones. Yours is a very nicely built frame.

I was thinking it might have been like the Louison Bobet frames and bikes built by Mercier.

Tis a beauty, very clean.

nice pedals, have a set or two myself, they are light as hell, but I think yours are a bit cleaner than mine.

Fabulous bike, hopefully I will get one of mine to that level of clean one day :)

Back