braze on / band on shifters interchangeable?

bikenut2010

Senior Retro Guru
Anyone know if you can use band on shimano 600 shifters on a braze on frame fitment by discarding the band? is there any difference in the casting? :roll:

bikenut2010":3krzkccn said:
Anyone know if you can use band on shimano 600 shifters on a braze on frame fitment by discarding the band? is there any difference in the casting? :roll:

I use this type of lever on my Carlton Continental as a band on type, it all boils down to if the brazed on bosses of the existing frame will take the Shimano screw. I suspect it wont as the Jap stuff tend to me metric. I could be wrong, Ive never tried these lever on my Flyer which has braze on bosses. Give it a try... :)

shifters

all the rest of the groupset is shimano and it's a Rossin frame in Shimano team colours so I suspect it's do-able! :D

Re: shifters

bikenut2010":15jy8vzq said:
all the rest of the groupset is shimano and it's a Rossin frame in Shimano team colours so I suspect it's do-able! :D

Go for it. The 600 stuff is very nice indeed.

I shoved a couple of Shimano indexed shifters from a band on set onto a Peugeot frame that originally had Sachs kit. No problems at all. The only caveat is to make sure you use all the bits, washers, spacers, etc. These bits, particularly that first spacer with the square hole (does it have a name?) are not all the same even across the same brand.

Back