Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:37 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: 80's Raleigh 531c Frame
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:52 pm 
Newbie

Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:04 pm
Posts: 5
Hello Folks,

I hope somebody here can help me with the identification of my recently resurrected old Raleigh.

What I know:
Frame and forks are badged 531c with a red main triangle, black forks and rear triangle.
Frame No suggest special projects (ex Worksop) build WH7000664.
Complete Compagnolo group set. Hubs, front rear mechs and shifters, brakes and levers, seat post.
Hubs are badged RECORD.
Cinelli Bars
Marvic MA-40 rims
Marvic pedals

What I don't know.
What version is this colurs suggest team USA but no badging to say this?
What group set is this?
Was it a Raleigh build to this spec?


I got it from a friend in about '94 as a road training bike but never really used it. He had it as his training bike and I think got it from a fellow club member (what club and when I am not sure).

Anyway I have dug it out of the back of the cellar at my parents and simply added a new seat (old one long gone), removed the gears, shortened the chain added new tyres and tubes and will run it as a single speed fun bike to go on rides with my family etc.

Any comments or observations welcome and some all important pics below.

Cheers,
AJ


Attachments:
Bike1.jpg
Bike1.jpg [ 140.71 KiB | Viewed 2406 times ]
Bike2.jpg
Bike2.jpg [ 179.86 KiB | Viewed 2406 times ]
Bike.jpg
Bike.jpg [ 227.29 KiB | Viewed 2406 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:24 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:30 pm
Posts: 1255
Location: Desk
From Memory it wasn't a model as such, it was a frame-only you could buy it as.

Friend had one, very nice. Think they have gipemme ends. also recall the forks were 531sl? something special with the tubing meant it was a bit lighter from memory.

Parts look like Victory - chainset is almost definate, brakecalipers look it too.

Would have been a very nice bike back in the day (as it is now), still looks in very good condition too and no doubt it will last as long again.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:43 pm 
Newbie

Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:04 pm
Posts: 5
Thanks DA-EVO

To be honest I was not sure if I should chop her about to make essentially a single speed hack, but I am not going to change anything that cannot easily be re fitted.

It is in good condition even the rims have lots of life left in them with no notching just the anodising wearing off.

There are the usual scrapes and scratches but nothing serious, well except a pretty nasty dink in the top tube that is more cosmetic than structural but it is right there in your eye line :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:21 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:30 pm
Posts: 1255
Location: Desk
aj log wrote:
Thanks DA-EVO

To be honest I was not sure if I should chop her about to make essentially a single speed hack, but I am not going to change anything that cannot easily be re fitted.


Would leave it be, its lasted a while and its a nice bike, plus easier / cheaper to find an old snotter to go single speed on I guess? Suspect there aren't that many of those frames about anyway.

Enjoy it :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:24 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:24 am
Posts: 1124
Location: Surrey
Cinelli bars should have a number on them, possibly model 65, 64 or 66.

IIRC, the standard square one was the Model 64, the rounded 65 was a track bar and the 66 was the Merckx model, like the 64 but much deeper, as per the great man's request for something like this.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:41 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:22 pm
Posts: 1994
Location: North Ayrshire
i remember this frame as a raleigh usa model - i don't recall it was sold in this country during the 80s. i was a big raleigh fan and worked in the cycle industry at the time.
nice one!
rusty


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:05 pm 
Newbie

Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:04 pm
Posts: 5
Steve Kish wrote:
Cinelli bars should have a number on them, possibly model 65, 64 or 66.

IIRC, the standard square one was the Model 64, the rounded 65 was a track bar and the 66 was the Merckx model, like the 64 but much deeper, as per the great man's request for something like this.


Thanks for that info, just took a look and they are 63-40, I guess the 40 is their width in cm.

I guess these will be the unique Cinelli 26.4mm dia that they used back in the 80's.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:12 pm 
Newbie

Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:04 pm
Posts: 5
rusty bodie wrote:
i remember this frame as a raleigh usa model - i don't recall it was sold in this country during the 80s. i was a big raleigh fan and worked in the cycle industry at the time.
nice one!
rusty


That fits with what I was told back when I first had the bike, I was told it was a Team America replica and subsequent searches have only thrown up similar models from the USA.

All I have found so far is that there was a range of frames coloured red and black like the USA Olympic team bikes, these frames were made by Raleigh UK Special Build but in a range of tubing specs.

Its interesting finding out about these things and adds a certain feeling of responsibility about owning these old bikes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:41 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:22 pm
Posts: 1994
Location: North Ayrshire
aj log wrote:
rusty bodie wrote:
i remember this frame as a raleigh usa model - i don't recall it was sold in this country during the 80s. i was a big raleigh fan and worked in the cycle industry at the time.
nice one!
rusty


That fits with what I was told back when I first had the bike, I was told it was a Team America replica and subsequent searches have only thrown up similar models from the USA.

All I have found so far is that there was a range of frames coloured red and black like the USA Olympic team bikes, these frames were made by Raleigh UK Special Build but in a range of tubing specs.

Its interesting finding out about these things and adds a certain feeling of responsibility about owning these old bikes.


yup, and also the fact that the raleigh usa models all tended to be that fastback type of seat stay arrangement and not the side brazed type. i think that i remember the great track rider nelson vails riding one when he rode for Levi's USA. a black shirt with yellow bands i think - god, i'm dusting down the old grey matter now!! lol

rusty :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:45 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:56 pm
Posts: 1032
Location: West Yorkshire
I remember Geoffrey Butler in Croydon selling these frames off cheap in the 80s. They had a load of them in various sizes and liveries. Some were Red/Black, others were Red/Maroon and had Raleigh USA stickers on.

I went to buy one and the first one they pulled out had a loose top headset cup. It literally rotated in the headtube. The second seemed OK but when I built it up I realised the forks were badly out of alignment and none of my wheels would sit straight in them. I rode it over to the shop but they insisted it was fine. In the end I just filed one of the fork ends so the slot went deeper and it was OK. It was a great frame to ride - very rigid 531c and handled really nicely despite my bodge. The finishing was below par though and I always wondered how Raleigh let them out the factory. My earlier Raleigh Competition knocked spots off it for quality.

Mark.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: larrytx01, twosheds and 19 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group