Harry Hall 531c

mrkawasaki

Retrobike Rider
Picked up a patina'd Harry today after some waiting - needed a Manchester bike to feel a proper local!

Much work to do to make resplendent, but am hopeful of a decent result.

Anyone know how I can check the build date for this?

Mr K

Attachments

• HH2.jpg
    HH2.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 3,011
  • HH1.jpg
    HH1.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 3,011
Certainly plenty of patina there but 531c is good stuff so doubt that you'll have any serious problem - did the previous owner ride it with the saddle set up as pictured?

Is it intended as a round town bike or something for venturing further afield? If the latter then using the Look pedals as fitted would be a recommendation from me.

Watched this bike on ebay, but i was going to struggle to pick her up.
I have never ridden one, but i believe Harry Hall's ride very nicely.
I would say it is a 80's bike, but contact the shop which i think is still running, despite Harry Hall's recent death.

I've got a similar looking bike I bought from the man himself in Dec 1985. It has 1287 stamped under the BB. Those Look pedals are a couple of years later I think.

Hi all,

first post on here and it was curiosity i saw this for sale. I have one myself and have had it since 1982 from new. It came from HH when he was in catherderal st in manchester. I believe it is a Harry Hall sport (mine defo is although he did make a lot of models). I was thinking of restoring it and hence why i have ended up here. Yours looks a have a lot less patina than mine !!!. I was thinking of stripping it back etc but need to find out about decals etc before i do as a newbie is this the way forward.

:D

Look for Gil M on this site - he does our decals real good...!

I will rebuild mine - but not this year. Trundling about on it as a pub scoot has me liking 531c enough to warrant this, I think... :)

Cheers, This bike resto stuff is new to me so all info is valuable at the mo. The bike is stove enamelled i believe do people redo this or is it a powder coat job.

Harry Hall bikes used to be the coolest thing to have in manchester. I remember the old shop used to be lined up to the ceiling with his own frames. :D

wildo105e":3tfpor0q said:
I was thinking of stripping it back etc but need to find out about decals etc before i do as a newbie is this the way forward.
:D

I bought some decals off eBay, but they were the wrong font, so I contacted Harry Hall's shop who pointed me in the direction of Atlantic Boulevard. Neill did a great paint job and provided the proper serif fonts (as well as doing a few modifications for me).

Attachments

• Harry Hall 1.jpg
    Harry Hall 1.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 2,905
NIce looking bike and great info i have just looked them up and they are in the next town to me how lucky is that. Guess who i will be phoning shortly.

Sorry for the hijack of the thread but i am sure others will benefit. :D

One thing to watch out for:

This particular frame has Shimano ends, and the gear lever bosses are Shimano. The flats on the bosses are perpendicular to the down tube, rather than running parallel to the direction of the down tube as do the bosses on my other bikes. My plan was to use 9-speed, indexed dura ace downtube shifters, but they didn't work because they were 90 degrees out of phase. Even though I tried various bits of "light engineering", it still wasn't successful, so I had to revert to bar end shifters.

If your bosses are running vertical, I would strongly advise you to discuss getting them changed by your frame restorer, so that you don't have this problem.

Neill, of Atlantic Boulevard, did draw my attention to this, but I was under the misguided impression that the dura ace levers worked properly on this frame, and I hadn't really noticed that the bosses were not conventional. Hopefully this information will help other people to avoid making the same mistake that I made.

Back