peugeot perthus pro

macca85

Dirt Disciple
hi everyone

thought i'd put up a thread of my vintage peugeot perthus pro. a bit of history about the bike, it was bought by the first owner in the mid 80's down in exeter, at some point he had dismantled it and sold it on to the 2nd owner who never got round to building it up, so sold it on to my friend about 15 years ago. then he got married so never got round to building up either and just sat in his garage. so about 2 months ago he gave it to me saying, if i was going to use it i could have it, as just knowing it was being used would make him happy

its pretty much completely origional, all shimano 600 groupset apart from the hubs which are NOS 105's, even came in the box! rims are mavic cx18's, not the origionals but still tubulars. these are currently at a mechanic being built up.
so far ive givin it a damn good clean, replaced the inner and outer cables all round, new bar tape and replaced the brake hoods (ive tried to keep everything origional, and managed to find some NOS white hoods on german ebay and only for £11- result) also replaced the chain as it was all rusty even though it had very little use.

so as it stands, all it needs is the wheels and it'll be all finished. all apart from the origional style christophe white leather pedal straps, ive got a nylon set on order, but would really like the leathers, after searching i found plenty out in america for $5-10 but shipping is a joke! would appreciate any help in sourcing some of these. this is the only pic i have of it at the moment, sorry for the crap quality, its a pants iphone camera

34639_403639395993_635840993_4581495_6541983_n.jpg

any comments welcome

cheers stu

Looks very nice to me in charcoal and white! is that the seat height you will use ? are the hubs cassette or a screw on freewheel? Cheers Ian

yeah its not in too bad condition, maybe once ive riden it for a bit i'll look at getting it repsrayed and chromed just to make it look spot on. as for seat, thats just where its been set since ive had it, its not had any wheels on it yet so not sure how it'll all fit once im on it etc, though its a large frame and im a short guy, lol, so it might have to stay there.
as for the hubs, im not entirely sure, i only got one look at them before i took them to a mechanic to be built up, but what i do know is the final gear has a thread on it, and "apparently" worth a mint as its brand new and unused, he offered me £100 for it there and then, but then i wouldnt of had a final gear!!

cheers stu

for anyone that cares, the bikes all built up, and running sweet so i thought id take some pictures for you all to have a gander at. please bear in mind its not mint, its been sat in a garage for 15 years and never used. i intend to use it as much as possible over the summer, and when winter sets in, strip it down and do a nut and bolt restoration on it.

DSC07687.jpg

DSC07688.jpg

DSC07691.jpg

DSC07689.jpg

DSC07695.jpg

DSC07694.jpg

DSC07698.jpg

DSC07701.jpg

A lovely bike indeed, love the details - those pedals are very nice! I remember buying some Shimano 600 stuff for my Continental back in the 1980s - it was the kit to have then, are you going to get rid of the minor spots of rust!

Spokesmann":28kiek23 said:
A lovely bike indeed, love the details - those pedals are very nice! I remember buying some Shimano 600 stuff for my Continental back in the 1980s - it was the kit to have then, are you going to get rid of the minor spots of rust!

thanks. it is pretty much a stock bike from then, apart from the wheels (which are NOS shimano 105 hubs, double butted spokes and mavic cx18 tubular rims) i believe its almost exactly as it should of been when new. i found a picture on this site which is what ive been working off for looks and it has a list of all the parts it had on it when new. so over the winter i'll strip it, get it dipped and repainted and chromed and get rid of all the rust, will also try to get some more origional wheels built up too, along with some other origional stuff if i can find it.

scan0008.jpg

Love that brochure, sooo 80s!

I bet the tape and seat finish wasn't too durable!

Lovely

Thats looking really nice.
Give us your ride impressions so we can hear how she rides.

Jamie

Mavix CX18 - best tub rim ever! Far better than the standard GP4. Smart upgrade!

BTW, although only 18mm and supposed to be used with Wolber 18mm tubs, I've used these with all manner of 22 and 23mm tubs with no problems at all. As strong as the Mavic SSC rims but lighter. :cool:

Nice. It's a shame, but I notice from the brochure that it originally had the leather straps. I've just sold a Peugeot from the same period with those straps. Could have done you a swap.

Back