Joe Waugh 653 - Retrobike Special

DA-EVO

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
This Bike is the first one of mine that is mostly formed of retrobike purchases. I bought a Shimano 105 groupset very cheap which after quite a lot of cleaning, came up quite nice (some parts did not make it though).

The Frame was also from here, as were the wheels. As usual, the small bits and bobs cost a bit to get the thing rolling, but I am quite pleased with it, well, for the time being as its going out the door to its new owner very shortly.

This was built on behalf of a friend who needs a road bike.

Pics to follow

Frame: Joe Waugh 653

Fork: Joe Waugh 653

Headset: Shimano 600
Stem: Cinelli
Handlebar: Cinelli
Bar Tape: Generic

Brake Levers/Brifters: Shimano 105
Brake Calipers: Shimano Dual Pivot 105
Brake Pads: Shimano 105
Brake Cables: Shimano

Shifters: 105 friction mode
Front Derailleur: Shimano 600 Ultegra
Rear Derailleur: Shimano 105
Derailleur Cables: Erm.. Shimano
Freewheel: Maillard 13-21
Chain: SRAM
Cranks: 105
Chainrings: Biopace
Pedals: Christophe

Rims: Campagnolo Omega
Hubs: Campagnolo Athena
Hub Skewers: Campag
Nipples: Yes thanks
Tyres: Continental

Saddle:
Seatpost: Generic

Bottle Cage: Blackburn

Weight: not much!

Attachments

• IMG_0292_smal.JPG
    IMG_0292_smal.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 4,101
Quailty tubing, and a quailty builder in Dave Yates....
Pics please, or can i just not see them. :cry: .

Will have to do the pics in a few days, lost the lead from my phone. Plus, someone is going to send a few pics of it from a camera.

Turns out the handlebar stem is a little long and we will replace the bars to fit better. The handlebar tape was non-adhesive so will probably try and find some better sticking stuff next time.

Other than that, scrubbed up quite nicely! Thanks to those who I bought the parts off :)

Further pics:

Attachments

• IMG_0282_sml.JPG
    IMG_0282_sml.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 4,101
  • IMG_0301_sml.JPG
    IMG_0301_sml.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 4,101
  • IMG_0289_sml.JPG
    IMG_0289_sml.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 4,101
Dito. Simple quality frame showing nice craftmanship and a nice paintjob. How does it ride? ...or won't you be allowed to do the maiden ride? ;)

Elev12k":33i8zdp6 said:
Dito. Simple quality frame showing nice craftmanship and a nice paintjob. How does it ride? ...or won't you be allowed to do the maiden ride? ;)

I think I rode up the street for a few minutes but its a bit too big for me, its long gone to its new owner who is a lot taller but has relatively short arms, hence need to change the bar stem. Kind of weird as its probably one of the better tubed frames I bought and well, handed it on without using it.

Wasn't without a few problems, the left hand shifter braze-on seems to have been threaded / plugged at some point and the original cranks managed to pull their threads out at the pedal, luckily had a spare set to put on there. All working now though and certainly not complaining as it was a good price.

Paint job is really nice, understated and very clean. Was very happy with it and it seems they like it a lot. So doesn't matter I didn't get a ride on it, I see it a few days a week as we generally get out in the morning for a little run.

p.s. Seen a lot of the bikes you have, wow what a collection and can't wait to see the PDM Squadra up an running, that is a bike I would truly love to have :)

Nice :cool: I had a Joe Waugh but in 531c, the only bike i've ever had made to measure. Regretted selling it as soon as the guy swung his leg over it :?

Re: .

Grannygrinder":26t6d3a1 said:
Nice :cool: I had a Joe Waugh but in 531c, the only bike i've ever had made to measure. Regretted selling it as soon as the guy swung his leg over it :?

Yeah its a shame it gone out my door TBH, however it was always too big for me and intended for my friend.

Seems he wants some taller gears on it for the hills as he is used to the MTB. Telling him to just try harder seems to be untactful!

Anyhow, thought of you today as I just got a set of 650c clinchers for the 'Roo. Just need to find some ridiculous thin tyres to go under that rear brake bridge, or else get a big metal file involved!

Back