Henry Burton of Stafford tourer...

Goldie

Senior Retro Guru
... £20 courtesy of ebay, but just lovely. It has a little stumpy SR alloy stem, so I guess the original owner must have been short torso and long legs, kind of the other way round to me. It does not appear to have gone very far - it's aged through being stood in garages rather than being used a lot.

DSC02354.jpg

DSC02353.jpg

DSC02355.jpg

DSC02356.jpg

DSC02357.jpg

So nice, it made me think about moving one of my "keepers" on to make space for it, but I've calmed down a bit now.

What a bargain.. Really looks lovely...
I know Henry Burton and his wife, both started out working with Ernie Clements in Shropshie, (pre Falcon). But i have often wondered wether the frames were built by Henry, or they were made for the shop by someone else, anybody know more?.
A couple of years ago, i met a chap from Stafford, out on his bike, he said he was 82, if i remember correctly. And he was riding a really lovely fancy lugged frame, which he built himself. Can't remember his name now, most probs nothing to do with Henry Burton, just one of those meetings you wish you could have again. Oh well. :( .

i picked up 1 similar quite a while ago , a real gem to ride , but apart from down tube stickers all others had been removed , very light but could not tell what tubing , flogged it on in end .

That looks like the kind of bike that would have been bought in with HB transfers fitted - or undecorated and HB fitted their own. It's OK for what it is but not anything really special. The 'pure' HB racing frames were very nice but not sure who built them. A lot of riders in the Stafford area used them.

That's true old ned, i've seen some very nice H. Burton frames about my area.
It's not a shop i use, but it's not to far away. So i'll pop into the shop in the next week or so, and ask who builds or did build them. I believe the shop is now run by Henry Burton's son.

Mavesyn, if you get any info I'd be interested to know. I have a Viking in the bike cave and the lugs, treatment of the top end of the seat stays and equipment ( SR stem, Huret rear mech) are similar. I've not had it on the scales or out for a real ride yet - I have mainly been trying to get our lass to agree that the metallic red / chrome combination on the front forks if the most gorgeous mix of colours ever. She is still undecided.

It may well be a re-badged 70's falcon, knowing the connection between
Henry Burton and Ernie Clements.
I have got a wedding this weekend :cry: , but i'll call in next week.

Henry Burton of Stafford tourer

I think, that you are not right. I am assured. I can defend the position.

Called in at Henry Burton Cycles, and i must say what a smashing shop it is, nice friendly staff. A proper family run bike shop.
I confirmed with John Burton, Henry's son, that Goldie's bike, was a budget model built in the late 70's, early 80's by the same firm that built that model of Falcon, that is shown in the above post. I have forget the name of that firm, but the frames were built in Japan.
I had a nice chat with John Burton, and got quite a lot of history and information, about the shop, but that will have to wait for another post.

Back