Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:28 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 12:33 pm 
The Guv'nor
The Guv'nor

Thought I'd start a build thread for my recently acquired Concorde MAX FB (at least I think that's the model) which came from here. The auction was rather vague however when the frame arrived it is a rather impressive item. The paint is nicely done, even the names appear painted on. The MAX tubing is elaborately shaped and looks extremely purposeful, the fillet brazing is flawless. Even the forks are MAX which is something I'd not picked up on, had assumed they'd be SL since these seem to be supplied on the MAX frame in the catalogue here.

The plan with this is to build with a Dura Ace 7700 groupset currenly adorning my TSX tubed Pinarello Gavia and use it very much as a rider. Had a slightly small Merckx Strada frame I was going to use but the Concorde is somewhat more suitable. Going to be interesting to compare MAX vs TSX vs SLX (and hopefully 753 too when I pull my finger out).

If anyone has anymore details on these frames be interested to know. Assume they are bilato buily? Droputs are ultech if that gives any pointers.

To get started a couple of pics from the original auction.

Attachments:
!BsbvNvQBmk~$(KGrHqYH-E!Ev!nEIhm9BL3zUK2Okw~~_12.jpg
!BsbvNvQBmk~$(KGrHqYH-E!Ev!nEIhm9BL3zUK2Okw~~_12.jpg [ 41.35 KiB | Viewed 13330 times ]
!Bsbu1Qw!mk~$(KGrHqIH-CYEvDZ5wU+QBL3zS+sm2!~~_12.jpg
!Bsbu1Qw!mk~$(KGrHqIH-CYEvDZ5wU+QBL3zS+sm2!~~_12.jpg [ 49.14 KiB | Viewed 13330 times ]

Last edited by John on Mon May 24, 2010 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:41 am 
Retro Guru

Nice bike, with a quailty frame,
I know in the early 80's the Concorde frames were built by Ciocc, but then production was taken up by the Bilato brothers. Built them cheaper, i expect.
The frames have always been shipped to Belgium/Holland in the raw, with all the paintwork and chroming done in belgium/Holland, to a very high standard. I can't remember the name of the firm though.
I think Concorde were a import/buying group, rather than a single person or bike shop.
Hope this info is of some interest.
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:48 am 
Retro Guru

Checked my records, and it appears the frame's were sprayed by Van Yperzeele, i think they also did the Paganini frames.
And at sometime, Concorde were a partnership between La Plume Vainqueer bike shop in ghent, and a dutch importer. Maybe the dutch guys on the forum could tell us more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:38 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

Lovely frame John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 2:21 pm 
The Guv'nor
The Guv'nor

Chhers for the info mavesyn.

Need to get cracking on this build now it's stopped snowing / raining.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:47 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Lovely looking frame John, I had a look at this too but went for a colnago offered on the 'bay at the time...

Looks big - is it your usual size?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:35 pm 
Concours Judge
Concours Judge

fingers wrote:
Lovely looking frame John, I had a look at this too but went for a colnago offered on the 'bay at the time...

Lucky you John :)

but Colnagos are nice too of course :)

On the Bilato/Ciocc tie: To my information Bilato built both the Concorde and the Ciocc ...among others, like for example Lemond

The import/buying group Mavesyn mentions must be Veltec with base in Holland and several branches worldwide. I do know Plum Vainqueur and their bikes, I am unaware of a link with Concorde, but that could just be me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:02 pm 
The Guv'nor
The Guv'nor

fingers wrote:

The bike is a 59. Normally ride a 58. A touch taller than I'd prefer but top tube is ok so reckon it'll fit. The pics make it look bigger than it is. Have a 57 merckx strada sat next to it in the garage, kind of hoping the two will spawn an MX Leader one night but no luck yet...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:29 pm 
Old School Grand Master

John wrote:
fingers wrote:

The bike is a 59. Normally ride a 58. A touch taller than I'd prefer but top tube is ok so reckon it'll fit. The pics make it look bigger than it is. Have a 57 merckx strada sat next to it in the garage, kind of hoping the two will spawn an MX Leader one night but no luck yet...

Tried the same with Master & Alan... No C40 yet...

Post subject: .
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:07 pm 
aka Leo Swayer
aka Leo Swayer

Really liking that. The frame looks big(headtube length) but short in the toptube? V.nice :D