Koga Miyata Road Winner

Chapeau! Velo

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Just taken delivery of this:

http://cid-9b0b870933a9fbf9.skydrive.li ... bwem0BM%24

from Elev12k and I am keen to build it up into something different. However, how different I don't know.

I have a set of black Ringle hubbed Campag Omega sprint wheels on their way from Fenton which I hope will match the retro modern look of the Koga frame -but what to finish it off with? Mavic running gear has been suggested but that may take an age to source and how modern is acceptable - any suggestions?

Hi Dan,

Very nice

Can I have it back? :cry:

Exotic alternatives for Dura Ace could be for example Mavic or Superbe. DA7400 itself is very good though and relatively easy to come by.

Koga Miyata specced complete groupsets on their bikes, but sometimes, for example with the titanium FullPros, they specced Dura Ace with few 'upgrades'. To make it as little bit more special and save weight: Syncros cranks, post, stem and ti bottom bracket. Ringle skewers.

Downhill champ Greg Herbold raced Miyatas. He always specced his bikes with a lot CNC stuff in all colours of the rainbow. It contributed to his flamboyant image. No doubt he still relied on Shimano for major drive train parts.

What you do is, next to the post, also taking a look at more stuff Heylight is offering. For example QRs. Both the post and QRs you can have anodized in any colour you would like: purple, red, blue...

You could combine this with DA7400 and even silver Ultegra could be a clever option, due to better compatibility. This all will create a featherweight with great function.

Here a pic of the red Heylight I had made >>

YoEddySwift.jpg

That's exactly the sort of thing that I was thinking of. Just hoped I wouldn't be slated by some of the traditionalists for going that way!

Is mixing modern on this sort of road bike acceptable. In the order of period correct Record mechs and downtube shifters but with new kcnc brake calipers and tune chainset etc?

Dan,

Personally if there is no real need for going modern, I would stick to period correctness.

Dura Ace 7400 for example, is still to todays standards very well functioning stuff. I think pretty much the same applies to mid 90s Campag Chorus or Record with Ergopower, but other people will know more on that. The parts custom made by Dipl Ing Heydenreich (Heylight) were already around in the early 90s.

Of course you have to do what you feel best with. Overall I tend to believe the people overhere are quite tolerant towards people allowing modernish parts in their build. I have seen otherwise elsewhere. As long as you post on Retrobike you should feel safe :)

Back