The faded Caramel beast......'82 Raleigh Gran Sport

Re:

You can see all placements on this one.

Attachments

• FD6310E7-6C80-453F-8996-332F863F6082.png
    FD6310E7-6C80-453F-8996-332F863F6082.png
    576 KB · Views: 767
Cheers guys. Got a spare heron sticker for one of my Raleigh roadsters then! One other thing I noticed in fitting them is the "gran sport" script at the top of the seat tube is too big on mine.

Bit of progress......bought an offcut of "Dark Blue" pigskin suede off eBay to cover the Tornado. Sat it in my watch list and a few days later got an offer of £4.50 from the seller. Took a punt as it looked like black in the ad and sure enough its black enough for me. 0.6mm thick too so nice and thin.

Broke out the Evostick contact adhesive and the Tamiya silver paint for the lettering. A brand new stanley blade made light work of trimming duties, especially around the rear block with the Tornado lettering on it.

Tornado saddle with the donor foam from the cheaper eBay Iscaselle saddle stuck to it.

b6Qbgfzh.jpg

Light coats of spray glue applied to both the suede offcut and to the saddle.......left to flash off and go tacky.

k6vWMSzh.jpg

Pulled the suede down over the saddle, pulling and stretching the suede to smooth out any wrinkles. I masked off the underside of the saddle/rails/tornado badge as I was using spray glue....I think next time I would probably get some brush on glue for the underside of the saddle where the suede wraps around and gets stuck down.

Used a screwdriver to push the suede right into the crevices around the badging at the rear of the saddle prior to trimming back with a stanley knife. Important to use a brand new blade as a super-sharp blade will result in a nice neat trimmed edge. Refitted the plastic trim piece at the nose of the saddle underneath which hides the suede that has been tucked under the rails right at the front of the saddle.

jA0Krf6h.jpg

TfPU7kRh.jpg

ADXxD57h.jpg

Top job, please add some more description along with the photos so that I can link it to the restoration tips thread.

The History Man":2pytb52r said:
Great job. Made it look easy.

It was a bit of faff......I've recovered a few Flites using leather - this was a first time using suede.....there are a few issues I'm not happy with but it's a million times better than it was and now usable so all good.

Peachy!":2pytb52r said:
Top job, please add some more description along with the photos so that I can link it to the restoration tips thread.

Bit more detail added - should've taken some more pics!

So after nearly 2 years of inactivity I've finally pushed this project on a bit.....

A few weeks ago I was off work looking after the kiddies and in a small window of opportunity where smallest kiddie was at nursery and biggest kiddie was at school I grabbed the rusty old fork and had a wander down to our local platers - after watching a YouTube vid by Dom from the Repair Shop on't telly box recommending their services. I'd had a few quotes in the past ranging from £35 to £175 but I'd never approached this company.

Had a good chat at the platers with a chap who suggested it'd be around £60-70 and a 6-8 week turnaround.......which seems to be industry standard response to the question of "how long's it gonna take mister?"

Anyway - 3 short weeks later I get a call to say my fork is ready for collection - happy days! Trotted off down to the platers - chucked them £60 and have now unlocked the sticking point in the project.

Dug out the box with all the bits in it and the front wheel that I'd previously rebuilt and started to rebuild. New balls and fresh grease all round.

lkpltMrl.jpg

pFAgvk3l.jpg

sSCewzol.jpg

tWMafzpl.jpg

X5MA78fl.jpg

Back