Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:24 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:07 pm 
Retro Guru

Cheers Jamie!
Was a bit of a blind choice. Had to pick it off a chip chart pinned to a wall that was past it's best. Could have been anything between Cyan and Dove Grey - pretty relieved thou.
I think next time (ha ha!) I'll go for something a little newer (post 1950's) and with All. The. Brazings. for proper gears and drillings for brakes or stubs for canti's.
However I have another c. early '30's CB f&f in the shed. So there goes that plan.
This has been a real learning curve. Everything is pretty much like nothing I've ever tackled, from headsets to braking to cable lengths. Not to mention eccentric BB shells...
...and I really need a proper garage. Bumping tandems around and trying to build up indoors is a not a good look.
Still, will press on. Now have a chain for the stoker to rear drive. Only real problem now is to find a shifter for the rear SA hub - need a trigger with a clamp that'll fit around the 31.2mm top tubing. And the cable length with the right endings - which appears to be rarer than a rocking horse pooing diamonds.
Nothing on olde worlde tandems is 21st Century standard.
Challenges are good thought. I think...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:20 pm 
Retro Guru

On the subject of Resilion brakes, this is well worth a read - https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/355836/ - sounds like a bit of an (additional) tandem-based project nightmare. I'm steering well clear :)

On other bits, it's a top-tube clamp-on top shifter for the SA hub that's now the missing jigsaw piece, along with a cable to do the shifting.

Currently am thinking about bodging a Cyclo shifter (have a correct band-on size one), soldering the cut cable t-fitting in place to create the tension and then soldering the cable end to create a stop for the adjuster end.

If it all fails it's only gears. So I won't die. Possibly.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:21 pm 
Retro Guru

How about a tandem special RBotM?

I'd be happy to lose that competition :)