My Irish made 1987 Rapparee SLX with Record Ergopower.

GazelleCMondial":3p887val said:
That seatpost is at a very satisfying height. Always looks terrible when an aero or fluted post has to be set too high or low.

What sort of tyre clearance does your frame have?

Yes, it was just luck that the seatpost is at a good height, there are different lenghts I think? I got it right first time, would have been awful if it had to be raised and left marks showing. I grease it every few years and leave it alone then.

If it's the 'brake drop' you mean then it's 4.5cm, from the bridge down to the centre part of the rim, front and back. I've never given it any thought until I read the Raleigh 753 40th anniversary thread on here! I wouldn't have much of a clue about frame geometry I'm afraid, I just went and they measured me and that's all the input I had apart from wanting a chrome chainstay .The brake blocks are near enough at the bottom on the rear brake, but for me that's probably a good thing because there would be enough of a gap if I need to put the new bigger tubs that seem to be the way things are now. I bought up a few CX's and Challenge Criteriums over the last few years as they were getting scarce so I'm good for 'skinny' tubs for a while yet as I don't do big miles.

Re:

Great looking bike and enjoying the story. Credit to you for keeping it in such lovely condition.

Re:

The stem is a Cinelli Pinocchio, 12.5cm. I had an XA on for years, I wanted the Pinocchio for the chrome finish. However it was a very tight fit, the edges of the stem are very sharp, when it got up to the centre part of the bars I could see there could be a problem. So I held open the jaws of the stem with a screwdriver and greased the bars and that worked. Be warned though if you are thinking of fitting that stem.

The bars are Cinelli Giro d' Italia 64-42, you can buy them still but they don't have the size on them and the 'engraving' on them doesn't compare.

Headset is a Tange, on since the mid 90s, I just like the finish. Computer is a Cateye Kosmos, NOS, got on ebay. The seller was J.D. Whisker who had a well known shop off the Kilburn High Rd. in London, used to go there myself. Based in Herts now just selling on ebay. Has a lot of NOS stuff on there. Bar tape is BBB Race Ribbon. The cables are Clarks.

Attachments

• DSCN0102 (5).JPG
    DSCN0102 (5).JPG
    699.3 KB · Views: 268
  • DSCN0082.JPG
    DSCN0082.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 268
Re:

1987 Rapparee Columbus SLX 56cm c/c

Chainset - Campagnolo Record 10 speed 170mm 52/39.
Front mech - Campagnolo Record braze on.
Rear mech - Campagnolo Record Titanium.
Ergopower shifters - Campagnolo Record Titanium 9 speed.
Down tube cable adjusters - Campagnolo.
Brake calipers - Campagnolo Record dual pivot.
Seat post - Campagnolo Chorus 27.2
Handlebars - Cinelli Giro d' Italia 64-42.
Stem - Cinelli Pinocchio 12.5cm
Computer - Cateye Kosmos.
Headset - Tange.
Chain - KMC 9 speed.
Cables - Clarks.
Saddle - Rolls
Bar tape - BBB Race Ribbon.
Pedals - Look Keo.
Rims - Mavic CD2 36H
Hubs - Campagnolo Record.
Cassette - Campagnolo Record 8 speed 13/14/15/16/17/18/19/21.
Tubulars - Vittoria Corsa Evo CX.
Bottle cages - Elite.

Attachments

• DSCN0104.JPG
    DSCN0104.JPG
    952.8 KB · Views: 241
  • DSCN0114 (4).JPG
    DSCN0114 (4).JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 241
  • DSCN0130 (3).JPG
    DSCN0130 (3).JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 137